Troop Trailering question

Our heavily laden Troop Trailer is always needed on our outings and camp-outs. On longer trips (of over 3 hrs., 1 way), I've suggested to the CC that the volunteer pulling the trailer (usually the same 2 ASM's out of 10)be compensated w/ a small $ stipend to help cover the added responsibility, stress, and fuel consumption. Free trip meals would be another suggestion for the responsibility of trailer duty. What do other Troops do ?

Thanks,

Greeneagle5

There are also some established mileage rates that include depreciation, fuel, insurance, etc. as factors. For federal travel it's around $0.37 per mile. The IRS and the states have additional figures. There are others. Our troop just reimburses for fuel and tries to rotate the trailer hauling.

Our troop does not own a trailer, but I believe drivers should be compensated for at least fuel for distances over an hour's drive. Throwing in a few extra bucks for pulling trailers would also be appropriate.

For each event we have has a checklist of things that must be done. One item on the checklist is the event budget. The boys must calculate cost for food, supplies ( gas, soap etc), event registration, and drivers gas.

The scouts estimate the cost of transportation and each driver is paid a small amount for their trouble. The one pulling the trailer gets more money. It never makes up for the total cost but it helps.

On close trips (1 hour away) each scout might have to put in $1. Our trip to Maine ( 7 hours away ). Each scout put in $10 for gas.

Our scribe also keeps a list of drivers for each event. The goal is to make sure parents share transportation responsibilities.

• 5 months later...

For our troop, it took us awhile to figure out what to do with the towing. Right now, only one person can tow and that is fine because he goes on almost every campout however it is alot of ware and tare on the vehicle. So we give the towing adult a free registration for trips and they get gas money for anything over an hour a way. any additional costs they are responsible for but the registration fees are usually pretty costly and add up quickly.

We also give the SM in charge a free registration to becuase we ask them to drive. If any other leaders sign up, they have to pay their own way.

For shorter trips, leaders pay for their own gas - including the trailer-hauler. We have three leaders competent to haul the trailer at this point. For longer trips (a couple of hours' drive, usually) leaders either get reimbursed for actual gas or it gets put on one leader's credit card and I reimburse him (being treasurer). So it ends up costing me a little bit less than a tank of gas, depending on when we fuel up on the drive home.

Scouts only pay for their own groceries.

Vicki

Trailer towee gets gas money.

All drivers can deduct 14 cents per "volunteer" mile on taxes, not the 37 cents mentioned above, thats for private vehicle used for business.

I believe if you get any compensation, you can not deduct mileage on taxes.