I need some answers really quickly if possible. I am going backpacking this weekend in Missouri.

--Camelbak-good or bad idea?

I think it may be a good idea, but dont know

--What part of the mess kit to take?

--Leave multitool at home??

Thanks.

Camelbak - Great idea. I assume you'd just be bringing the bottle and hose. Be careful where you keep the tip of the hose though - I've heard of plenty of cases of the valve being accidently squeezed/opened just from the way you pack your backpack.

Especially with a soft camelbak/platypus, bring at least 1 liter of water in another container. No need to put all your "eggs" in one basket. If you only container leaks, you may not realize it until you're well along the trail.

Multi-tool? I keep wanting one, but never want to carry the weight. Have I ever needed pliers in my 18 years of hiking? No. What I have used a multi-tool for was to cut moleskin using my best-friends Leatherman Micra (the $19.99 version). It comes with scissors. But of course, there's that other thing that can cut moleskin called a pocket knife.

Mess Kit? I bring one pot, a white cereal kind of bowl (probably .25 cents at a dollar/party store), and a sturdy plastic spoon. No fork, no knife other than my pocketknife. The pot is from the MSR blacklight kit - non-stick and 1.5 litres. For the past few years, my menus have consisted of oatmeal for breakfast and dehydrated food for dinner. Mostly - boil water, add contents. hence - I only need one pot.

Now - would I use the pot in a standard mess kit? Not really. It holds way too little water, and depending on the style of the mess kit, is pretty unstable. I'll put the traditional mess kit right up next to uniform pants as "things badly in need of re-designing".

The bigger pot also allows me to fit the pouch that my dinner comes in inside it, giving me something to hold other than a drooping pouch - reducing the chance of spillage, while still hopefully keeping the pot clean.

But if all you're doing is boiling water, than bring whatever pot you have. If it's too small, you'll just have to boil 2 pots worth. You'll still live. :-)

Enjoy the weekend. Don't forget that fleece or knit cap for the evening! And duct tape. Always lots of duct tape.

Happy Hiking,

--Gags

Probably too late for Hops, but I have needed a pair of pliers (like on multi-tool) for backpack repairs - bending some of those pesky clips back into shape. The smaller version works fine. And only need one per crew.

I'm not a great outdoorsy, rock climbling, survival, hiking type and I know how those type love carrying water bags on their backs but I'm not enamored with the idea.

I know that the idea is supposed to be that the hose is right there so you can take a sip whenever you want and not have hydration problems. I've seen too many people, youth and adult, go overboard. They'll suck down all of their water in a half hour because the tube is right there. Water is a diuretic, if you have too much in your system, the body gets rid of it. Next stop, a tree. Ten minutes later another tree. Now you're dumping water and thirsty. No more water. Where's another tree?

Just my observations.

FOG -

I've heard the opposite. Several of my friends that use them claim they find themselves drinking less, since they're only taking sips at a time.

Could depend on when you're hiking too - we do most of ours in the fall/spring. I'd go through 3 liters in no time in the summer, hose or no hose. I guess it depends on how experienced a hiker you are - if you haven't used a regular canteen before, you may not be aware of the idea of water conservation for the whole hike. Just a theory though.

YIS,

--Gags

I usually go through 3 canteens worth of water a day. I have a gerber multi tool that i put on my belt along with my flahslight but it does come in handy. I like it cause you only need to flick your hand to open it up pretty cool.

JimmieD,

Your backpack hip straps must ride different than mine - I can't fasten anything to my belt without paying a painful price.

As for the hydration systems (aka "water bags"), a very experienced packpacking SM told me a while back it was his observation that boys were more likely to stay properly hydrated if they were using the dang things because they were "cool." There's probably something to that, but I prefer to just do a packs-on stop for a couple of minutes to let guys have a breather, take a drink, and quiz everybody about condition of feet. The guys are also used to me telling them if they observe symptoms looking like orange jello, it's time to drink a lot more. (You know what I mean...)

For a group of very experienced hikers with a need for speed, the hydration systems might make sense. I put more of a priority on stopping to enjoy the view.

Water conservation is not a good idea on a hike. Dehydration is next to hypothermia as the most common and sneaky of dangers in the outdoors. In most areas water conservation is not needed. Bring a water filtration pump and have the scouts fill their bottle at every opportunity.

FOG

One of the symptoms of dehydration is not be able to take leak, if you have to go you are drinking enough water.

Well, the weekend is near nigh over, and I hope Hops has had a great weekend and a lot of fun with his buds...

However, concerning the topic, about the only problem I have with Camelbacks, or any other hydration systems is those folks who wear them over their PFD...I tend to think that this would lead to an acute case of over hydration...

For a knife, I usually carry a small fixed blade knife when backpacking, but rarely need it since I'm now flaking rocks for the cutting tools that I need...

For a mess kit, and especially the bowl, I've switched over to a small wooden bowl..great for hot food items such as soups and stews...the weight is a trade off, since I no longer have to carry any burn gel or oinment I guess it works out fine....

I never did let you guys know how the trip went. Oops:)

We hiked the Taum Salk Trail in Southern Missouri. 8 miles each way is what we ended it up doing. It hailed on us, but nothing was wet the next morning which was weird. I ended up leaving the Camelbak in the van due to a leak in the cap:( I learned there are several things I need for the next trip:

new boots

Nalgene bottle

backpacking/bivy tent

lighter, more compact sleeping bag

I guess that's it:(:) but I know there are more things I want/need for backpacking and regular camping.

The experience from our troop is that a Multi-tool type gadget is fine if the Scout is older and knows how to use it, but that the younger boys are much more likely to cut themselves accidently with a multi-tool. Usually when they are trying to open or close it is when it slips, as many different designs have difficult locking mechanisms or are not very intuitive on where to hold it and which way the blade will go. The lack of a decent comfortable handle (when the main blade is out) makes just whittling a lot less fun. Also, many multi-tools have a chisel-ground main blade which has a sharpening angle half that of a regular knife and extremely sharp. They make a small slip of the hand cause a really deep wound. But yes, these multi-tools are very cheap and plentiful since the knock-offs of the Leatherman and Gerber are everywhere.