square knots on uniform

Hi there, my husband just came home from a weekend of training for WOODBADGE. He was telling me that there were a few other leaders that had many, many knots on their uniforms. Can any one tell me what knots there are for adult leaders that would go on the uniform.

Also,can you tell me if there is a know for either Oakleaf or Woodbage?

Thanks.

To kind of sum up knots is they are 'service' awards for different leadership positions with a few odd ones throw in.

There is no Oakleaf either. (Never having heard of it, I had to google to figure out what it was.)

What Scouting positions has your husband done?

Knots was one of my WoodBadge projects... *smiles

deafscouter.

My husband has been a den leader for Cubscouts now for three years.

He took over the den as a Wolf leader, has done Wolf, Bear Webelos I and is going into Webelos II. In the meantime, he is going to be taking over as Scoutmaster for our older son's Boyscout troop.

He was playing boyscout this weekend to start earning his Woodbadge and just made notice of the knots on the other people's shirts and was wondering what they were for.

Thanks for your reply.

The knot guide is a good start, but I alwayse find asking about a particular knot is a fun conversation starter.

There are scads of discussions here about how many and which knots should be worn.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/Forms.aspx

Training Awards (Knots)

Progress Record for the Cub Scout Den Leader Award

Progress Record for the Cub Scouter

Progress Record for the Cubmaster Award

Progress Record for the Tiger Cub Den Leader Award

Progress Record for the Webelos Den Leader Award

Progress Record for the Pack Trainer

Select the link at the top then the link for the Cub Scout Den Leader Award. You can print out the form that's used to record progress towards the award and which also serves as an application to receive it.

Personally, I'd print that out, cut it out and give it to your husband as a token of your desire to see him recognized for his service.

I'd also print out the Webelos form so he can plan on completing those requirements during the course of his service.

Once it's signed off, he can give it to the District Executive or District Training Chair who should take charge of seeing to it that the achievement is awarded and recorded on your husbands Scouter service record.

I see Seattle Pioneer beat me in the recommendation of the one to DEFINITELY check out... *laughing

Here is the links for the 'progress cards' he probably already has covered. Print & fill out these for submission.

Cub Scout Den Leader Award (one year tenure):

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-51.pdf

Cub Scouter Award (two year tenure):

http://scoutleaderknots.com/cubscouter.asp

Upcoming.. Webelos Den Leader Award (one year tenure):

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-52.pdf

One thing to be VERY aware of is tenure. Most of these cannot overlap tenure with another knot award. If he has done all the requirements including attending Roundtable and chairing events he probably earned Cub Scout Den Leader and Cub Scouter for his first 3 years of service without knowing it. I would count next year toward Webelos Den Leader. Thus in the 4 years of service he would have 3 knots.

Basement.. depends on how Roundtable is offered. Mine was so good as it followed the Cub Scout program themes and presented an idea for the next month that helped me loads in having to come up with my own idea. We even got 'beads' for attendance that just kinda rubbed off to attend more.. *grins

>

That might well be true. And it would be a shame.

I attend our Scout University each year, and taught the Tiger Cub Den Leader Training last year.

I got in the habit of attending the Boy Scout and later the Cub Scout Roundtable, and then wound up as the Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner the past two years.

Both are well worth attending in my view.

To Mr. Boyce and all, "please" accept my sincere apologies for the comment "Playing boyscout". I can and DO appreciate all the time and effort all of you put in, to take care of our boys and help them to become knowledgeable young men. I really did not mean it in a mean streak by any way. He just seems to be having waaaay too much fun. Again, please accept my apologies.

We are going to need all the advice we can get from all of you. My hubby is going to be taking over as Scout Master, if the Troop will accept him. He is a great take charge guy and wants to do well by 'all' the boys. It kind of overwhelms me at this point as this is my oldest son's first two months in Boyscouts, coming out of Cubscouts this March. So far he loves it and is ready for the adventure.

Thanks for all the info on the knots, but I am not sure he is going to qualify, as he did not attend the roundtables, nor did he chair much.

Robbin,

The finest scouter I know wears no knots......

I know he possesses a chest full....Lifetime scouter....It is about the boys he says......

Some of the biggest jerks in scouting I have met have 4 or more rows of knots. I call them peacocks as they strut around.....Look at me.....Look at me....

Knots on a shirt, while impressive to some are a poor judge of whats inside.

(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Robbin - No apologies are necessarily. Part of the fun of being a Scout leaders is getting to go out and "play". When it stops being fun it will be time to find something else to take up all of those extra nights during the month.

He is lucky to have one so supportive. That makes a big difference, my wife deserves a couple of knots of her own.

Robbin,

Check out the archives, lots of good info.

Me personally, and especially since you describe him as a great take charge guy and wants to do well by 'all' the boys.

1) STEP AWAY FROM ANY DIRECT CONTACT LEADER ROLES AND BE A COMMITTEE MEMBER AS HE "UNLEARNS" ;) (Shouting in jest) Seriously in my expereince, Cub Leaders crossing over have a very hard time adjusting from Cub Scout leader to Boy Scout leader. They have just spent 1,2,5 years being told that they are in charge they lead. THEN once they cross over they need to let the boys lead and advise.

It's very hard thing to do.

2) get trained

>

He can attend Roundtables NOW and get credit for the Den Leader Knot. One of the purposes of knots is to shape people's behavior and encourage them to do good things. Attending a few Roundtables now will expose him to that program.

Ummm. he didn't "chair" much? That one I don't get.