Photo dates...

Wing,

Cannot get a really good look to help. On the first two late 50s early 60s photos, I'd try using a magnifying glass and look at the jambo and/or OA flap that a few of the folks are wearing. That should narrow it down some. Good luck.

Look for recurring faces; one of the leaders seems to be in most of them on the left; and a couple faces of boys seem very similar. From uniforms, I would say the general dates are close to accurate; then add in the recurring leader, and you are close.

Yep, magnifyer. Check date of Campo patch. Note Scoutmaster on photo left, one lacks glasses, (earlier?) some he wears glasses. Older?

Check the boys, if you can line up the boy as he earns the next rank, you can at least make them chronologically correct. I guess the photo doesn't have a print/studio label on the back with a date.

You might note the type of sneaker the boys are wearing. Keds and PFFlyer and Converse and Chuck Taylor did change their style thru the years.

Too bad they didn't take the picture in the church parking lot...

ALWAYS DATE THE PHOTO! and label who they are before you put it away...

Here's my take.

Sept 1959 (pic 1) shows adults wearing light colored shirts. The others are darker, but pic 4 is lighter again.

There's a mix of scouts and explorers in the pics.

Pics 1 & 3 have OA flap patches, 2 & 4 do not.

All four have mule-eared uniform pants and collars tucked in indicating at least 50's-60's. All seem to have community strips rather than council patches.

Pic 1 has dark neckers the other three have light neckers. Pic 1 is either 1st or last.

From what I can tell, I would guess #1 is the first and the other three are early '60's.

Hair styles indicate this (longer), heavy rimmed glasses and penny loafter shoes all indicate 60's. The one pic shows a boy in a heavy striped pants, also indicating 60's.

Stosh

My initial thoughts are that I would reorder 2-3-4 as 4-2-3

Resaon being:

1 has a different style necker from 2, 3, 4.

3 has the boys with hair styles consisting of bangs and longer hair.

The leader on the left does appear to be the same, his height as compared to the window in the door remains constant, while his waist seems to be increasing. (why this strange affliction happens to scout leaders,? I don't know) The odd thing to this is the number of patches on his shirt decreases from 2-3. He does have an OA flap in 2,3 but not 4

Wow, great ideas, I never thought about using rank patches to order the photos. Scoutmaster spread is also a good clue. May even have to check our local camp's patch collection to see if that helps.

One clue that will not work in this case is the sneakers. You see, this troop is from Naugatuck CT, the town where Charles Good year invented rubber. The main drag in town is Rubber Ave. And no one in town ever wore anything except Keds. As a matter of fact, most of their parents and later them selves worked in the factor that made them. If you couldn't afford to buy them, you got them from the basement where they kept the seconds, and if you couldn't afford seconds, you signed up to wear test a pair for a month and then turned them in for another pair for the next month. As a matter of fact, you could even get a job walking around down town wearing one red and one blue sneaker. The reason for the mismatch was that Uniroyal would pay you to snitch on them if they were caught sitting in a diner or such.

As for the Scoutmaster spread, we were also the home of the Peter Paul Candy company (Almond Joy, Mounds and York Peppermint Patties )

Thanks all for your help.

• 4 weeks later...