Venturing Pants

I've been having a look at the new National Scout Hop web page, and see that they are either out of the Venturing Pants or are replacing them, (I hope they are replacing them). Anyone have any info please?

I asked for a pair of greys for Father's day. My family got a puppy instead.

Any decent pair of grey pants or shorts will do for the venturing uniform. (Although it is nice to coordinate with your crew.) Last year's offering from the scout shop was far below decent.

Yep any gray will do. I still got my 1998 shorts and pants that I wear still.

My official shorts, the ones I was required to wear when I worked for supply, are long gone. Official pants are still hanging in there.

I have been very unhappy with the current official Venturing uniform pants. After one day of hiking through some moderately tall grass/weeds, I felt every prickle or thorn on every plant through the pants, and also ended up with plenty of frays and pulled stitching in the pants material.

I happened to be browsing through a Dicks Sporting Goods and came across pants that appeared to be identical to the uniform pants, just without the Venturing/BSA logos. In the same rack, from the same manufacturer, were a couple of similar styles of pants. I found a style that was almost identical to the uniform pants, but were a little heavier material, didn't have the silly velcro pockets, and ended up being more comfortable to wear. They were a little more expensive that what I wanted to pay (I think it came to $45-$50), but they are a huge improvement over what the BSA offers, and are practically visually identical - certainly "close enough" for Venturing uniforming standards. They also look great with both the older and newer Venturing shirts. They could probably even pass for "business casual" as well. I also saw them at REI - I think its actually the "North Face" brand, so they should be easy to find in a lot of places.

Just a recommendation if you're looking for something that could pass as uniform, but is a little more practically made. Also if anyone happens to see something similar at a lower price, I'd love to hear about it - I'd like to pick up a second pair, but I'm not sure I want to shell out another $50 for them...

I also love the previous version of the Venturing pants - they weren't the most comfortable, but they sure held up well in my experience. But I like these new one I found even better.(This message has been edited by KC9DDI)

You probably did find the old venturing pants. In 1998 I was at REI looking for gray shorts as the official shorts hadn't come out yet. I saw a pair of shorts, were comfortable but had elastic in them, and I hate elastic., so I passed them by. Guess what was introduced in 1999 as the official shorts....

I have a pair of pants I ordered from Cabelas that are great. They look just liek the older pair and are grey. But I was asking because there are no more of the nylon version on the national Supply Store's site??? Are these being done away with and replaced?

word I've been hearing is they are coming out with a revamped set of Venturing pants (which supposedly are zipoff).

Could care less.

Am quite happy with the charcoal gray pants & shorts I get from Bass Pro Shop. (cabela's has similiar).

I have several 8-pocket shorts. And they have a newer item called "Sportman's Cargo Short" which also has a pants version I've used.