COR and Unit numbers

Eagle92 wrote "COR = Charter Organizational Rep. that's the person who sis suppose to represent the unit on the district and council level,i.e. is a voting member of both bodies, wears silver loops and no unit number if in uniform, etc."

I did not want to hijack the other thread as this has nothing to do with the issue but I have never heard anything about the COR not wearing unit numbers. Because a COR represents specific units why do they not wear the numbers? TIA

If I had to guess..

it is because they ae a representative of the Charter Organazation that sponsors a scouting unit, not the Unit itself. They are "employee" or a "hired hand" ( meaning they mot not actually get paid) of the CO. They work represent the CO who happens to charter a unit.

And as such being in that position, they are not a part of the unit, but a liason between the unit and the CO.

Kinda like how a lawyer works. He might do stuff stuff to help assist your company( your unit) but he is not actually an employeee ( member)of your company.

And maybe I'm wrong, but in simple terms, the COR represents the unit. But in a technicallity, he doesn't represent the unit, but rather represents the Charter Organazation who wants to provide a program to the area youth.And the CO just happens to use BSA for this purpose as opposed to another program.

So the COR is actually looking out for the CO, not the unit. It just happens that the CO uses the BSA to do their youth program.

The COR could just as easily represent the CO if the CO used Indian Guides ( isn't that the one with Chevy Chase?), Little warriors, Outdoors & God ( I just made that one up) Bible Scouts or even a Youth Peace Corps.

This is incorrect, the COR can also be part of the Troop Committee and can wear the unit numbers. I am actively involved in the unit and therefore I wear the unit numbers.

Someone would have to show me in writing where I can't wear the numbers.

Don K.

COR

Troop/Crew 53

Levittown, PA

I guess that is where I am confused. As an active COR you are part of the unit and as a voting member you are representing that unit and your vote is based on being the COR of that unit. You can't be a COR if you don't have a unit right? TIA

In the Insignia Guide, the COR patch is shown on page 39, with the description "Chartered Organization Representative, council Scouter." This follows the position description and diagram on page 38 for the Universal and Nonunit Insignia, which does not include unit numbers.. The BSA considers CORs to be council Scouters, not Unit Scouters.

OK I stand corrected.

However, I'm not taking my numerals off. I am involved in the operation of the troop and I am proud to wear them since they show who I am associated with. I don't think I've ever seen a COR in my council not wear their numerals.

OTOH, If the COR is also a member of the Troop Committee, he could just then wear the Committee Member Patch right?(This message has been edited by krier32)

Krier is also correct because a COR can also be the CC for the unit, the only dual registered position allowed in the BSA, of which I happen to currently to be for my crew.

Now technically you could say a registered COR/CC would have to have two uniform shirts one for each position and on the CC one you would have the unit number. However in my council many dual registered COR/CC only wear one uniform and do have the unit number on them rightly or wrongly, the SE has never told them to cease and desist. Many COR's I have met in my time in scouting will tell you they are part of the unit first and foremost, few consider themselves part of the council even though they have a vote at meetings.

A COR can be a Committee Member only if he/she is dual registered as such. If the COR is registered as a Committee Member of a specific unit then he/she can wear the insignia of that unit and office .

However, a Charter Organization has only one COR for all of it's units. It is possible for a CO to have different unit numbers for it's different units, so a COR would have to pick which uniform, unit numbers, and shoulder tabs, to wear.

A COR actually works for his Charter Organization and not the individual unit. The COR's responsibilities include helping all of the Charter Organization's units to succeed, and representing the Charter Organization at the District and Council level.

If you wish to wear your COR position patch with your unit number that is your choice. BSA does not employ a squadron of Uniform Police whose job it is to catch and punish those not wearing their uniform, or insignia, correctly. If they did they would be a very busy group!(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

Scoutnut

You can quote the book all you want but that is not the reality in the field. A CO whether they have one unit or three are given the number for all units ex, Pack 425, Troop 425, Crew 425, so the numbers are not the issue. Nothing in your post contradicts my own post, but I bet you are one of the UP's for your council, lol. Most COR's loyalty is first and foremost to their units and not the council, in spite of what your book may say.

Baden,

A CO can charter more than one unit of the same type of unit.

A Co could charter packs 235, 236, 270

Troops 235 and 270

Crew 236

Why? Beats me! Maybe they absorbed from another unit where the CO's new IH is absolutely against that sort of thing.

Maybe the CO starts another unit for the soccer oplaying hispanic groups.

Maybe CO has an awesome COR and a great amount of support, but is split by one group who loves to camp twice a month while the other wants to camp only 3 times a

year.

(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

Again by the book a COR wears silver loops, no unit numbers, and votes on both the council and district committees. Besides if they were suppose to wear numbers,what color numbers would they wear red and whites or tan and greens if they had a Pack and Troop combo, Troop and Crew Combo, or all three (Not including Sea Scout Ships in the mix as they are no longer suppose to wear numbers). Also what if they were COR for multiple unit numbers?

And yes COR can be multi-registered up to three positions: IH, COR, and CC, they would only wear numbers in conjunction with the CC patch.

As mentioned what si suppose to happen and what does are tow different things. Heck I knew of 1 Charter organization that had 2, possibly three, CORs. The COR/CC for my troop became the Adviser of the crew, and the SM of the troop became the COR/CC of the crew. Don't know who the COR of the pack was, and yes that got through the council somehow.

Me personally I'd be happy to have a COR involved.

I agree with Scoutfish, a COR may have more than one of the same type of unit due to various issues. For example, I do know that there are large Packs out there but for us 50-60 kids is about the limit for our effectiveness. We got around 80 a couple of years ago and it became almost unmanageable and the DE and I discussed splitting the unit. We did make it through the year and bridged a couple of dozen Webelos which brought us back down to manageable level but we decided that if we ever had 100 registered youth that we would split the unit. I know that there are plenty of units with more boys but for us it seems that our leadership is more comfortable with about 50 boys. Our CO is heavily involved in our units and even though we only have one COR on paper, there are several board members that take an active partipatory role in the running of our units and the CO board makes a lot of decisions about how our units are run.

Baden, I was not trying to contridict your post. In fact I did not even know you had posted until after I hit "enter".

I did not say that it was standard practice that a CO's units would always have different numbers, or that it was even common. Just that it was possible, and does happen. There are units that change chartering organizations, but keep their original unit number when their old CO releases the number to them.

I also did NOT say that a COR's loyalty was "first and foremost" to the council. I said he works for the Chartering Organization who selected him. His job is to work with ALL of the units "owned" by that Chartering Organization, and to help them ALL succeed in giving their members the best possible program. So yes, a COR is "loyal" to their units.

There is one church in the neighboring district that charters 2 Packs (143, 2143), 3 Troops (143, 2143, 3143) and 1 Crew (43).

Yep, nobody is going to say anything about wearing unit numbers above your COR patch. It is up to each of us to determine if we want to wear the uniform correctly and completely.