Non BSA Brand Uniform items

Forgot to add Distinct Identity Uniform: what Sea Scouts and Venturers decide as their uniform on a local level. This comes from the days of Exploring, and is still in effect.

ALSO Baltimore Area Council is expereimenting with an "alternate uniform" made by Under Armour. They have limited number of items, is limited to BAC members, and are expereimenting.

'Box

As I said orginally, according to the BSA, the Cub Scout and Boy Scout uniforms are set in stone. Again only Sea Scouts and Venturers have the ability to create their own uniform on the local level, and even then under some circumstances, they must wear the nationally approved uniform, i.e. certain trainings, jambo, etc..

Ebay does offer a good way to get older uniform items, and usually at a better price. I strongly recommend wearing the complete, official uniform as often as possible.

And I say as often as possible b/c I do beleive tehre is a time and a place for the uniform, and a time and place not to wear a uniform. backpacking, service projects, conservation work ,etc is not the time to wear a uniform, except maybe at dinner. Also travel to and from activities.

Eagle92,

Sorry if my statement was confusing. I don't think we actually disagree. ScoutBox's original post was clearly about the field uniform - asking about options for non-BSA pants to be worn with the khaki shirt, for example - and that's what I was responding to. My point was that you can't pair Cabela's pants with the uniform shirt and say you're in "full uniform." That's intellectual dishonesty.

The activity uniform is a separate beast entirely. As is the "dress uniform" - which is what ScoutBox saw the CSE wearing.

Short,

No problem. I also stand corrected as I reread the now old Sea Scout Manual. Apparently the National Sea Scout committee wants ALL ships wearing standardized uniforms. However after readings some of the posts on the sea scout threads, it's kinda hard to get every ship in line with a standardized uniform after approx 30 years of having ships dotheir own thing and it being 100% ok.

I guess we have a lto of ships with vintage uniforms.

"Links to info on BAC's alternate uniform expereiment.

what's available in BAC now

http://www.baltimorebsa.org/OrgStore/store/default.asp?orgkey=749

What's coming up

http://www.baltimorebsa.org/openrosters/DocDownload.asp?orgkey=749&id=76283

The adult uniform looks worse than the one we have IMHO.

"

Eagle I CAN INLY IMAGINE THAT THESE ARE MENT TO BE FIELD UNIFORMS. AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT I HOPE. LOOKS LIKE CRAP..

From what I read in a news article, the alternate uniform would be for foks who don't want to wear a field uniform. There was a thread a while back that I posted a bunch of reasons why I am against it.

You can now add ugly as sin to the list ;)