Jamboree patches

BDPT,

They are quoting the Uniform Inspection sheet found here:

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34048.pdf

Don't you love the lack of uniformity in BSA publications. The IG states only female leaders can wear 1 temp patch either above the pocket or on it, BUT the Uniform Inspection Sheet states all Cub Scout leaders, and female Boy Scout and Venturing leaders have that option.

Don't matter much to me as I wear a patch in both positions ;) WSJ patch above and CS NCS patch on it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vigil,

The insignia guide states that one world or one national jamboree patch may be worn over the right pocket. Notice that it does not state one world or one BSA national jamboree patch. So if the Canadian Jamboree you attended was Canada's national jamboree, then go ahead and wear it. The BSA has a ton of smart people who know how to write in English to express what they mean. If the BSA decides in the future to add "BSA" before "national jamboree," then you'll have to take it off to have a correct uniform.

Chazz Lees

The reason I brought up the Uniform Inspection quote was because of what I have seen: Scouters who perform more than role in scouting and sometimes that role crosses from Cub Scouting to Boy Scouting to whatever else.

I have seen Boy Scout leaders put the blue Cub Scout shoulder loops on their boy scout uniform while teaching Cub Scout leaders at a Pow-Wow. They also wore a Jambo patch in it's correct place.

BUT...you know the uniform wasn't correct because it was still a BOY scout uniform with Cub Scout loops.

Likewise, I have seen Cub Scout leaders who are also serving a dual role in Boy Scouts swap out their shoulder loops to green and do something at a Boy Scout event.

And in that situation, the Cub Scout uniform had a temporary patch ( such as a Council camporee, distric event, or even a Pow-Wow patch ) over their right pocket.

In that case, the temp patch is okay other than the fact that the person was trying to make a Cub uniform into a Boy uniform just by switching the shoulder loops.

Sometimes, this is seen by other scouters who wonder why a distric or other than Jambo patch is in a Jambo patch position.

Not saying it's right, correct or anything else. Just saying this could be what is sometimes seen.

There are two simple solutions to the problem you describe.

1) Multiple Shirts

2) Velcro

Problem with 1 is expenses. Problem with two is you will have folks like me jokingly saying " You don't deserve this," and taking the velcroed patch off. ;)