there are enough rants on the shirt, so i wanted to know if there are others who like the older socks better with the red stripe? i thought it looks better, what do you think? i guess the only good thing about these new socks are just about any green sock will look like official socks now.

what do you think?

I like the old knee highs b/c you could wear them with shorts and your legs would still be protected.

the new green socks are very nice. they have extra padding so they are comfortable for hiking. Wish they made them in knee high length.

The new hiking uniform socks are good, but the BSA logo in on the foot where you cannot see them AND comes off after a few washes.

I like the new green ones. I can wear them for other activities and no one wonders "why that dude has red stripes on the top of his socks."

While I see the utility in the knee high socks, I hated them as a youth and I would not wear them now. For the times when I need the protection, long pants will serve just fine.

I like the new socks. Very comfortable. Guys in the troop seem to like them too. Most didn't like to wear the red tops with uniform, but I noticed at summer camp that they all were wearing the new socks when in uniform.

As for the knee highs. Both of my sons have stated it's too bad they don't make them anymore. Neither would wear them when they were younger scouts, but it seems a lot of guys that work on camp staff wear them. As my older son said, "it's what all the cool kids wear."

I still prefer the knee high socks we used to wear. The ODLR ones, not the ones with garters and tabs to hole them up. Only problem with those was when you got sun tanned, you had what we used to call "National knees." I have no idea where that came from but it was used all over. It referred to the fact that when you wore civvies with shorts, your tan ended a few inches below the knee.

I always liked the knee-high red-topped ones, even as a scout in the 80's. (I came after the garter kind, never had those.) I was disappointed this week when the council shop was sold out, but I got a couple pairs of the new ones for camp this week. Loved them! Thickness is good, nice and comforable. I hope the elastic holds up well since they only go part way up the calf. I will definitely wear these more than the "classic" ones.

Love the new socks. Less expensive, better looking, don't fade, don't shrink, comfortable. I'm wearing a pair to work today.

That being said. I do miss the old socks with the garters and tabs.

I wore garters and tabs as a youth and the red tops. I preferred the red tops that you could roll over but those didn't last long.

But all those red tops were cotton and were quite worthless. Just before the swap they made red tops in smart wool and a I got a few of those.

I wear the green and the white with green flecks. The synthetic wool blend works much better as a field uniform.

CMM

GREEEEN socks, they never get dirty

the longer you wear em the darker they get

Sometimes I think I should change em but something keeps telling me

Oh no not yet ... not yet... not yet.

The new socks fit my feet comfortably enough that I don't need liners or wool socks over them for extra padding in my boots. However, the tops are too tight for anyone who doesn't have chicken legs. After wearing the new socks for a couple of hours, there's a very distinct narrowing of the leg where they go into the socks. Changing to a larger size makes the rest of the sock too big.

A related uniform defect is the tabs on the sleeves for holding up rolled-up sleeves. The sleeves are too skinny to even roll up to my elbows, let alone up to the tabs.