Centenial Vs Classic When do we switch

"When exactly are we to switch over?"

When ever you want to.

There is no mandate to require everyone to switch to the new uniform. the assumption is that it will happen over time as new scouts come in and only have that uniform, people outgrow the old one, etc.

Boys going to National Jamboree were notified that ANY uniform that says BSA on it is acceptable. They asked my SPL to stand and show the OD uniform from the 60's that he was wearing and they said that the uniform he was wearing was just fine for the National trip. One old SM quipped that he had a wool tunic from the 30's that still fits. The Jamboree SM asked if it said BSA on it. He responded, "Yep, all over the lining." The SM said that would be fine, but in July/August he might want to rethink the sanity of wearing wool. :^(

Stosh

I became a Boy Scout in the spring of 1981... less than a year after the "new" Dela Renta uniform was released.

I am seeing the same issue now as was faced back in 1981. What uniform do I buy... do I have to buy a new uniform. The answer is that over time the Dela Renta uniforms will slowly disapear from view. Older boys will leave boy scouts, new boys will buy the uniform... Old Commissioners will be the last the buy a new uniform (takes a long time to sew on between 10-15 knots !!)

Like back in 1981... give it 3-4 years and you'll rarely see a Dela Renta... just natural attrition.

The BOGO sale at Scoutstuff is a pretty good deal. Bought some shorts and socks for the family. Our Troop is taking advantage of the sale, too. Parents last night got together and made up an order. A guy can always use an extra pair of shorts and extra socks at camp, so why not? Most ordered a 2nd pair of switchbacks, too. We have a lot of new Scouts and the parents were eager to pick up the merit badge sash for half price (two parents order, one is free, parents split cost of one). No one seemed overly concerned that the sash, for instance, is not the same color as the Centennial Sash.

I, for one, prefer the old style shorts. I don't like where the zippers in the switchbacks hit my knees. I'll be wearing the old shorts for a long long time.