Red or Green Unit numbers on Cub Leader Uniform?

Back in early April there was a discussion about what color unit numbers, and what colored "Trained" patch should be used by CUB SCOUT LEADERS on the new Centenial Uniform... There was no consensus back then...

I think the best position I read was, "A Scouter is a Scouter, and cub scout leaders should not be required to wear different colored (red) unit or Trained patches." The photo of the new uniforms for inspection guides have a cub scout leader with green unit and green trained patches. Also similar green on a Webelos scout photo....

Has national given any guidance ? I am becoming a new scouter, and will be buying a uniform... need a hopefully definitive answer...

According to the new Insignia Guide, all cubs wear red numbers and the red trained strip, which I do not believe that my councils scout shop even carries.

However there is a lot of information out there that contradicts this, even the color pictures in the Insignia Guide show Webelos and cub leaders with green numbers.

Johnny,

Welcome to teh forums. This has been a PITA question. the official source for all unifroming questions, is the Insignia Guide, and is full of errors. Accoring to a source at a national scout shop, they written portions of the Guide still have Webs and Cub leaders in the ODL uniforms. BUT the pics accompaning the text show the new uniforms. Also the Inspection Sheet for Web show the ODL uniform, but the info sheet telling what a Web needs shows the the centennial uniform. Long story short, the editor of the Guide either A) didn't knwo what they were doing and the BSA's programs and uniforms, B) had this laid on him at the last minute so the Guide wasa rush job, C) tried to cut and paste sections of the old guide to make sure the Guide came out by the March deadline (months after the new uniforms came out BTW), or D) All the above.

This is what I was told by my national source. If you are a Cub leader wearing the Centennial, you wear the tan and green numbers and trained strip. If you are wearing an tan and green ODL uniform, you can either wear the red number and old trained strip, or tan and green numbers with the new trained strip. If you are wearing the Yellow and Blue ladies uniform, then you still wear the red numbers and either the old khaki and red trained strip, or the new, smaller knaki and red trained strip that just came out within the past month..

To paraphrase that "wascally wabbit" Buggs Bunny, "Confusing isn't it."

"I am becoming a new scouter, and will be buying a uniform... need a hopefully definitive answer... "

Simple answer - If you are working with Cub Scouts, or Venturers, and your Council Scout Shop carries them, get the red numerals for your Unit number. If you are working with Boy Scouts get the green unmerals.

You can not purchase the trained patch at the Scout Shop. You will receive your trained patch from your council trainers after the training is complete. You wear what they give you.

Cimmarron,

When did this PDF come out as it must have came out within the past 3 weeks. I say that because I called a national scout shop about this and they knew nothing about the red and tan numbers.

Also Why are the CS leaders' numbers tan and red, but the Webs wear tan and green? See page 4 on that one.

So council shops and distributorships will have to carry yet another 10 items of inventory! Why couldn't they leave well enough alone. I am, I'm keeping the tan and green numbers on my new shirt.

Eagle92,

I found the PDF last week.

This whole numbers issue is really showing incompetence at National.

Now we will have red/white, tan/green and tan/red numerals with absolutely no clear cut non-contradicting instructions of who wears what. The insignia guide and supply photos show multiple inconsistencies.

This is what national should say in my opninion.

ALL BLUE SHIRTS WEAR RED/WHITE

ALL TAN SHIRTS WEAR TAN/GREEN

Mark

I would have to clarify it a bit more. Those in blue CS uniforms, yellow and blue female CS leader uniforms, and Venturers wear the red and whites. Those in in tan shirts wear tan and green, and Sea Scouts don't wear any per national policy.

Red on Tan unit numbers? This is the first I've heard of this... but there they are on the site listed below... for male adults. Is there a Red on Tan Training patch?? or just use the green patch?

???

I agree that there seems to be no reason to give Cub Leaders different unit numbers than Scout Leaders...

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/uniformguide.pdf

To think two sentences could solve months of speculation and misinformation.

"Those in blue CS uniforms, yellow and blue female CS leader uniforms, and Venturers wear the red and whites. Those in in tan shirts wear tan and green, and Sea Scouts don't wear any per national policy."

(This message has been edited by cimarron8889)

Ok... So it sounds like the final answer is:

NEW !! Red on TAN unit numbers are coming out for Cub Leaders for the centenial uniform... (as per the following website)

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/uniformguide.pdf

I am planning on using the Green on Tan Training strip I just received, and not exchange it for the red on white... seems to match the color scheme.

Interesting... Baden Powell created the first Wood Badge because he wanted uniformity in Scout leaders... that british leaders were creating unique and different uniforms.... have we deviated from that philosophy with different colored unit numbers for leaders?

Tigers have had their own socks for years. That's nothing new.

That PDF that was linked up by cimarron is fairly new.

Versions I have always seen previous to that showed the CS Scouter with the green numbers and trained strip. And also never contained pictures of the Bear Uniform. Only a side bar noting the blue hats/scarves.

This is just another example of the quality of leadership out of Irving. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing; leaving issues such as this vague, non-specific and unanswered.

Leave it to bearuocracy to give an official answer that contradicts itself...