OA Arrow of Light does Not fit New uniform

We are in process of transitioning to the new uniform. Long story but many of the patches & insignia are having to be replaced or we are assembling uniform for new adult volunteer. This is normally not a problem but a few things have come up ... the first is the "trained" patch that we found is to now be placed on pocket flap above position patch. There was a minor argument/discussion about this ... now resolved by numerous pictures of the new uniform but no text data to back it up. So on to item #2. On the new scouts uniform, the pocket flaps are bigger and/or pocket is smaller so there is no way to place the OA arrow of light under the rank insignia without covering it up with the pocket flap. I am sure that it can still be placed there but it just seems wrong to cover up insignia. Is there any place where these 'minor' changes are documented and what a scout or adult leader is to do about them? A general search on the subject will bring you to inspection sheets and the like for the old uniform. This is a problem because it just doesn't fit with the new uniform. Also, any help with what to do with/about the OA arrow of light is greatly appreciated. The data to back up the 'pictures' is appreciated

YOur post is a little confusing due to terminology. Is this an adult's uniform? If so, adults do not wear rank insignia (or the Arrow of Light). The Arrow of Light (NOT the "OA" arrow of light) for adults is signified by a square knot worn above the left pocket. Order of the Arrow (OA) members in good standing will wear the Lodge flap on the right pocket flap.

I havent' seen the new uniform yet, so I assume the conflict is with the "bellows" pocket. If there is no room on the pockets, I would put the AOL right below the pocket.

As you found out, the "Trained" strip goes on the left sleeve pocket flap...there is a new Trained strip in green for the new uniform.

Although I have commonly seen the AOL on the pocket, the old Insignia Guide (http://www.scouting.org/media/insigniaguide/06.aspx) shows it below the pocket. While the new insignia guide has not been published and none of the promotional materials show scouts wearing the AOL, I would assume that it still goes beneath the pocket. At least it's easier to sew when it is not on a pocket.

In any insignia guide, literature, or handbook I have, or even in real practce, I've never seen it on the pocket, always below. Keep it there and this issue takes care of itself. Besides - that's a lot of work to put that on a pocket!

Jack(This message has been edited by jtswestark)

Crap, you're right!

Ok - I'll modify that - the 11th came out in '98/99, so for about the last 10 years it's been shown underneath.

I didn't earn the AOL, but still don't remember seeing anyone wearing it on the pocket.

Aren't most now just using the pin anyways?

Apologies,

Jack

I was talking about 2 different uniforms. One adult with the 'trained' patch and one youth with the Arrow of Light. I apologize as my spouse was very vague when I was asking questions earlier and referred to the Arrow of Light in same sentence as OA ultimately confusing me as I put them together. I am not OA nor a long-term scouter so would not have known the difference...but I am trying to understand all of this so would appreciate your patience and not how ignorant I might appear.

My spouse is Vigil Honor OA from early 80s so is very opinionated and I was trying to put the patches on my sons shirt without his help. He argued with me about the trained patch for 20 minutes until I showed him every picture of it placed on the new uniform with it on the pocket flap on the sleeve and convinced him.

He was the one wondering what to do with the AOL since it does not fit on the pocket where he had known it to go. The bellows pockets are squared off instead of points so it leaves less room and is why there wasn't enough space. He tried to put them in there anyway and I had to convince him not to cover up the scout insignia (I just didn't think it was right). We did put it below the pocket and it looks fine. I assume this is where it will have to go on the new uniform no matter what you may have learned.

I learned how difficult it can be to teach an old scouter new tricks. Thank you for your support.

• 3 weeks later...

First time poster...

My son transitioned to the newer style uniform shortly after the uniform's debut. In lieu of other guidance, my boy's handy-dandy, sewing-machine using Dad put the AOL and the Oval Boy Scout patch on with no issues.

When new guidance presents itself, we'll either update accordingly or leave as is.

25oul52.jpg