Scout Shops directed to destroy all old red based patches

Basementdweller wrote: "Call me stupid but what are the cubs gonna do????"

About what? The Blue Uniforms are still there as are all the insignia that go along with them - including the red unit numerals.

emb021 wrote: "What does being a CS DL have to do with which Trained patch you wear? The old Trained patch (red and tan) are for the old style shirts. The new Trained patch (green and tan) are for the new centennial uniform.

"My friend at the Scout Shop told me that they were "directed to destroy all red based patches other than the CS unit numerals". "

Am a little suspicious of that statement. I visited my local Scout Shop (run by National) and the only old item they had pulled from the shelves were the red loops. I even chatted with the person there about that. Both the old and new numbers and trained strips were available for sale. (I even had to asked about the new trained strips, as they weren't out on the shelves, only the old ones.)

Again. The old numbers and trained strips are for the old tan uniform, Cub scout uniforms, AND Venturing uniforms. The new numbers and trained strips are for the new centennial uniforms.

The BSA is allowed the red numberals to continue for the cub scout AND Venturing uniforms.

If you are wearing the new uniform (which you can), you should be wearing the new unit numbers and trained strip. What does the color of the numerals on the boys' uniforms have to do with the ones you wear? When Cub Scouts were rolled out, the cub scouts wore yellow on blue community strips, and blue on yellow unit numbers, whereas the adult male cub scout leaders wore the tan scout uniform with red on khaki community strips and white on red numbers. The color matching of insignia is based on the uniform you are wearing, NOT on what others are wearing.

Uh, yes, the red & tan trained patch is larger. Don't necessarily agree that it 'matches' the old uniform colors or CS insignia any better. "

Ok, I'll try.

The issue of the directive came up with two staff, separately. Also, they had 20-40 of them 4-5 days prior to my last visit and 0 on my last visit. YES, I know that they are intended for the "old" shirts - that's what I bought. My problem is twofold - 1) it seems VERY non-Thrifty to destroy them, as I was told had happened, particularly when they are still useable according to all that we've been told about this new uniform being "transitional" and old uniforms still being ok to wear and the fact that they are still selling old uniform shirts, etc. and 2) to me the new insignia just don't match the old, they've gotten rid of the red and the tan is a different shade, etc. on the new ones so they do NOT match the old shirt or other insignia, so mixing and matching them on a shirt might be officially ok but its not happening on my shirts.

As for the color of the numerals and such on the adult volunteer shirt. If they made a BIG blue uniform I'd advocate for us as adult volunteers working with Cub Scouts wearing it since we're working with Cubs and not Boy Scouts. They don't. So, I try to make mine look as much like theirs in order to build a sense of unity, belonging, and to let folks know which group of boys I'm associated with when they look. Might sound strange to some but I'm NOT a SM or ASM, I'm a DL and my boys and I wear the same unit insignia and such, same cap, same neckerchief, etc. It makes us a UNIT. Everything that I see coming along as far as the uniforms makes sense for unity among Boy Scouts but erodes that unity among the Adults and Boys of Cub Scouting IMHO.

"2) to me the new insignia just don't match the old, they've gotten rid of the red and the tan is a different shade, etc. on the new ones so they do NOT match the old shirt or other insignia, so mixing and matching them on a shirt might be officially ok but its not happening on my shirts. "

Again, the new and old insignia are not meant to match, because you use the old insignia on the old uniforms, and new on the new.

"As for the color of the numerals and such on the adult volunteer shirt. If they made a BIG blue uniform I'd advocate for us as adult volunteers working with Cub Scouts wearing it since we're working with Cubs and not Boy Scouts. They don't. So, I try to make mine look as much like theirs in order to build a sense of unity, belonging, and to let folks know which group of boys I'm associated with when they look. Might sound strange to some but I'm NOT a SM or ASM, I'm a DL and my boys and I wear the same unit insignia and such, same cap, same neckerchief, etc. It makes us a UNIT. Everything that I see coming along as far as the uniforms makes sense for unity among Boy Scouts but erodes that unity among the Adults and Boys of Cub Scouting IMHO."

Uh, keep this in mind.

Cub Scouting has been around since the 1930s or so.

The uniforms for Cub Scout and Cub Scouts adults have ALWAYS been different. Adult male cub scout leaders have ALWAYS worn the same basic uniform as Boy Scout leaders. Heck, the tan boy scout uniform is pretty much considered the basic BSA uniform. In most cases, if you are a district, council, area, regional, or national level scouter, you are going to be wearing that same basic BSA uniform.

So you are getting upset about something that's been so for DECADES. And as I already pointed out, when Cub Scout was first rolled out, the community strips and unit numbers DID NOT MATCH. Wasn't until the mid-50s that most everyone was using white on red community strips and unit numbers. And this WASN'T done for any kind of 'sense of unity', but to keep the number of different patches to stock down.

I'm gonna beat a dead horse here because I was a bit annoyed about the statement that someone was "a little suspicious" of the statement that our Scout Shop had been directed to destroy all red-based insignia like "Trained" patches.

Well, on the Scout-L listserv others have been posting the same thing, here's an example:

"At Roundtable last night they also were displaying the new uniform. The fella from the Scout Shop repeated that our current uniforms were good "forever", however he also mentioned that National also requested that they (Scout Shop) return all the red shoulder loops, therefore green loops will be all that is readily available in the future. So red loops are not dead, long live the red loops (for as long as you can keep them presentable)."

Not needing red loops as a CS DL I had not noticed this at our shop but it fits with what I was told.

"If they made a BIG blue uniform I'd advocate for us as adult volunteers working with Cub Scouts wearing it since we're working with Cubs and not Boy Scouts"

Is the blue/yellow uniform still not an option for female Cub Scouters? The male Cub leaders have always worn the Boy Scout uniform, since originally, they were the ONLY ones eligible to be Cubmasters and Committee members. Females were "Den Mothers", and as the "direct contact" leaders, wore the same colors as the boys.

AFAIK, the yellow female cub scouter shirt is now gone.

Also, am well aware that Scout Shops pulled the red loops. Dispite claims by some, they have NOT pulled any other insignia (older trained strips, unit numbers, etc).

Hello all,

Just to throw more logs on the fire.... Does anybody else wonder why after making such a big deal about green/tan, the BSA still went with the "Boy Scouts Of America" in red on the new shirts? Why no make it green also?

Just food for thought.

Rick

Just looked at scoutstuff.org/uniforms and insignia/shirts. The pale yellow Female Cub Scout leader blouse is still listed as available ($34.99-$39.99 for long sleeve, $32.99-$34.99 for short sleeve). To go with them, Female Cub Scout leaders can still get the ladies navy blue uniform shorts or pants (to be worn ONLY with the yellow blouse.

Just thought I'd share my morning research.

Michelle