I believe the recent article in Scouter about knots showed many of the defunct knots.

There aren't that many.

Also, regarding the restrictions on OA flaps. MANY years ago, National OA asked lodges to stop doing that. This was before the more recent ruling to stop having separate flaps for the different levels: "The National OA Committee recommends that no restrictions be placed on the purchasing of lodge flaps."

There is also the OA ribbon, that every member may purchase and wear.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sdcc

I think that most youth who earned air scout knots or the old sea explorer knots from the 40's or before are probably deceased or too old to be in scouting, that probably why they dropped those knots. Other knots were probably dropped because they are no longer offered or available from supply.

The knots listed in the Scouting magazine are current issued knots. Some more then others but all 40 or so are in use by BSA. US Scouts.com and Boy Scout Trail.com have a pretty good list of knots and some of the knots no longer issued. George Crowl also has a great site on knots. He has mentioned on of my private issued knots for the Gettysburg trail. (just something I decided to create when I was deployed)

YIS

Thank you to those who provided the information I requested.

I am aware the BSA publications(including the article in Scouting magazine)include only current items.I understand why some awards and their insignia have been discontinued,and am not suggesting that they be resumed.I just wanted to be able to identify some knots that I've seen from time to time being worn by some older Scouters.As someone who is a senior citizen myself it's something I find interesting.

Some of the no longer issued awards with knot representations include:

*Cub Scout Den Leader Coach Award

*Explorer Silver Award I

*Explorer Silver Award II (this was also used to represent several other Explorer level awards through the mid-1980s)

*Air Explorer Ace

*Explorer Ranger Award (there is a Venturing Ranger Award--quite an accomplishment, but no knot is authorized for wear on the uniform)

*Skipper's Key (there is a Skipper's Key authorized, but the knot is the same as the other -keys: Scoutmaster, Commissioner, District Committee, and Advisor. The defunct knot used different colored rope than the other keys)

Anyone who earned these now no-longer-offered awards is still entitled to wear them. Some, such as the Explorer Gold is still available for purchase through BSA supply, while most are not. Several suppliers manufacture copies, but these are not "official" knots. Additionally, back in the 50s (I think) several knots were issued on a green background to match the Explorer shirt as well as on white and navy blue to accompany the Sea Scout/Explorer uniforms. Again, these are no longer produced by BSA, but representations may be purchased through several sources. Many of these patches are of superior quality when compared to official BSA issue knots. Authorization to wear these reproductions and "fake" knots is subject to debate.

Yeah I bought a set of white knots for the sea scout uniform I have. GREAT quality, but are slightly larger than issued knots. Again only slightly larger, so it's not a big deal. Only way I was able to tell is that I have a youth religious award knot that was a tad bit smaller.

Buffalo Skipper lists all the defunct knots that I am aware of, only missing the Spurgeon Award knot (gold knot & border on a forest green background).

The Skipper's Key is just like the Scouter's Key, except the green rope is navy blue (not to be confused with the Silver Beaver knot, which used a light blue rope).

Eagle 92

here is a guy who sells a youth religous knot on white.

http://www.dougfirdistrict.org/crew/crew.html

I also like Craig Murrays stuff

http://www.sageventure.com/store/knots.html

The only other place i know about who does knots is the Ships Store (mostly sea scout stuff)

and a gentleman from the seabadge cource i went to but i have not gotten my order from him yet to comment.

Ships' Stores is the one I got my white knots from, and some other stuff. THEY ROCK! I had an order for knots, buckle, and sea scout strips. They usually take a few weeks to ship, and I had planned to have everything for the district banquet, trying to promote sea scouts and my old sea base. I was able to get the order in time to not only p[romote at the dis. banquet, but also do sea base promotion for oneof the new programs at RT. GREAT FOLKS!

• 3 weeks later...

Although not written, except for Sea Scouts, there is a maximum number of knots you can wear. You can wear those that fit between the top of the pocket and the bottom of the World Crest.(This message has been edited by nerscouter)

Actually Sea Scouts has the limit: six. Why they want to limit leaders' knots, I haven't a clue. I personally think it's ridiculous, but it doesn't effect me yet as I only have 5: Eagle, AOL, Youth Religious, Key, and Training.

As for the limit on knots on other uniforms, that's incorrect. You can either A) move the WC higher on the uniform, or B) not wear it as it is optional. I wear one because I remember the time that you had to earn it, and I did.

Off the top of my head I think the limit of knots on the sea socut uniform only applies to there tan uniform...I think.... but yeah there is a limit. sounds kind of dumb.

I went to the 89 and 91 World Jamboree and was very upset because after i can back, I think from the 91 WSJ they had changed the uniform guide to allow everyone to wear it. Not a big deal i guess since I dont run into to many 91 wsj alumni but it still kind of rubs me the wrong way. guess i am old.

August 89 was when they changed the policy towards the World crest. I was in Canada on my first 50 miler. Leader's knew about the policy change, but didn't tell us until after the trip. To make it up to us, they gave us the Canadian version of the WC, which is on a velvet background. Luckily I earned it the year before when my troop sponsored some Canadians at summer camp.