The new uniform.

All this information we have is from marketing. We have the promotional and product photos for the shirts and blouses which are consistent in placing it on the pocket flap. Then we have the Trained Emblem's product description, which is a clear cut and paste from the old description. What we don't have is any sort of supplement for the Insignia Guide giving details about the new uniform. Until then it is all speculation.

"With the general confusion over the "trained" patch, now might be a good time to do away with it and bring back the short-lived trend from the 70's that designated trained leaders with a fully embroidered POR."

Your wish is my command: http://members.cox.net/jtreat/images/Trained_Scoutmaster.jpg

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the decision makers must have been involved with the red beret and skill awards fiasco. That said, I just bought a new shirt and pair of pants this weekend. I'm planning on vacuum sealing this set up in a large plastic bag and auctioning them off on ebay in about 20 years.

Just some quick observations. With the old uniform, I currently wear "classic cut" slacks and don't have an issue with room around the hips. With the new slacks, they seem a little more snug but they still fit. That said, I do like the new heavy fabric as I'm a little tough on my slacks and shorts in the field. Yes, I'm old school and wear a complete uniform while camping. You know, just like all those old Rockwell paintings.

Besides all the comments about the sewing issues that will be involved with the new shirt, the "Boy Scouts of America" in "rubberised" lettering will not stand up to continuous use. The same can be said for the American flag on the shoulder. It appears that cheap manufacturing costs outweighed common sense. I predict that both issues will need to be fixed in the future with sewn-on patches. Add to this mess, the button under the flap for your OA arrow. I honestly don't know how the dangle will really stay on if you move around alot without some modification to the loop on the ribbon.

Finally, to add insult to injury, look at the clothing labels and you find out it's "Made in China." Now I realize most of what BSA sells is made in China but you'd would have thought that maybe the BSA would have turned a new leaf with the Centennial Uniform. Just how serious can they be about "Leave No Trace" when they purchase their gear from one of the world's "greatest polluters."

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!!!

My vote is for the Trained patch on the flap at the top of the left sleeve pocket...consistent with promotional pictures and looks better. Also, I can't recall a place on a green uniform where you'd sew a patch over a pocket seam...either they are on the flap, on the pocket, or under the pocket. There's even a restriction on that type of activity on the right pocket for temporary insignia, if I'm not mistaken.

Nope...not buyin' it at any price (or until the new Inspection sheets and insignia guide prove me wrong!! :-)

Finally, if scoutstuff.org can turn the "Scout" emblem into a badge of rank (see here ... http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&item=00BSRB), then I will not be trusting it with the centennial Trained emblem.

I, too, saw the new uniform this last weekend at the local Scout shop...or at least as much of it that is stocked at the moment...they had no new switchbacks, or adult-sized supplex shirts (but plenty of 60/40 shirts, just not long-sleeved ones), or adult-sized belts. But -- I think the hats, belts and socks look nice.

I can't recall it being mentioned yet, but to me the most disappointing part is the quality of the American flag on the sleeve. It looks cheap, and I think it is glued on. I could see it flapping up after a few washings.

As almost everyone else has mentioned, I think the sleeve pocket looks cheesy too, but that isn't nearly as big of a deal as a poor quality American flag.

The clerk at the Scout shop was wearing the new uniform and I didn't even notice it at first. Then after he said they didn't have "relaxed fit" pants, I noticed how ill-fitting his own pants were. He looked uncomfortable. :)

I, too, saw the new uniform in our local scout shop.

The american flag seems to be made of some kind of woven patch, but glued/attached in some manner to the shirt and not sewn on. The "Boy Scouts of America" is attached the same way, not embroidered. Am really concern with how that holds up. I have to think they tested it, etc, but we'll see.

Belt looks nice. Nice and hefty buckle on it. They had the numerals and trained strip. They will be keeping the old red/white numerals and older trained strips for the cub scout and venturing uniforms. But the red loops are gone.

No idea of any new Insignia Guide. The employee at the show didn't know of any new literature items coming out.

I'm right there with you Eagletrek. The B on my red lettering is already peeling off and I have not even worn it or washed it yet. I just fired off a nasty e-mail to National Supply asking what they were going to do to make it right. I'm probably going to just sew on one of the embroidered BSA patches from an old shirt.

GMitch,

National Supply Division policy was "Satisfaction Guaranteed." If something was wrong or broke, you returned it and either got a new one or your money back. I would go to the scout scout shop with your receipt, that speeds up the process but isn't necessary, and get your money back or a replacement. trust me on this as I couldn't count ht enumber of TC paw Prints I had to replace when they came out withthe ones with cut outs in them. Further I would also give a letter to the manager to forward to supply division. Or you can call them direct at 972-580-2131.

I know people complain about them at times, but SD does indeed listen to their customers. When the knee socks were discontinued, people did complain and they were brought back 2 years later. The centennial uniform is a result of surveys of the customers.

Eagle92,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of the long standing guarantee. For me, taking it back to the Scout Shop is not a viable option, as it is a 240 mile round trip. At the price of diesel fuel today, that would cost as much as about 3 shirts. Like I said, I emailed regarding my extreme dissatisfaction, and requested that they do something to take care of me. I would like to see them embroider the shirts going forward.

Now for the better news. Last night I was using Heat-n-Bond tape to place the patches on the shirt before my wife sews them. This works a little better than using pins to hold the patches. Anyhow, I hit the crummy red letters with the iron for several seconds, and it looks like I have reattatched the loose lettering, for now at least. I actually think these letters could be melted on to the shirt permanantly. However, it would be a fine line between melting them to the shirt, and completelty scorching them so they were ruined. I just don't think that the customer, especially the customers who already give countless thousands of dollars and hours to this organization, should have to worry about cheap goods. Like I stated in my email to them, this is exactly the kind of quality the we expect from Chinese factories.

HotFootEagle,

Thank your DE or whoever told him that delusional goal for making me laugh this morning. Good grief! Sometimes these people in Irving are worse than politicians and we can't even blame outrselves for them being there. It is all we can do to keep many of our boys in hand me down uniforms that look presentable. I'm estimating that out of about 35 Scouts and Scouters in our 2 units, that perhaps 5 or 6 will purchase one of these uniforms. The reason on a couple of those too is that they are new Scouters and have been waiting for the release date on this uniform to purchase one. I would guess that in most places those same kind of percentages will hold true. In 5 years from now I think you will see 85-90% of folks in the Centennial uniform.(This message has been edited by GMitch)

"Thank your DE or whoever told him that delusional goal for making me laugh this morning. Good grief! Sometimes these people in Irving are worse than politicians and ..."

The goal is to have the professional DE's wearing the new uniform by February.

Ok I know they are questions on insignia placement with the new uniforms. I found this website at national supply division that covers the new uniform placement.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/2008UniformGuide.pdf

Also if you try to look up the insignia guide to purchase, it will tell you temporarily our of stock expected september 2008.

Like the new hats better than the old ones and am glad the smokies are still allowed. I would have to become one of those troublemakers petioning national on that one like I did with the kneesocks way back when, cause that was something I was issued upon completing Brownsea way back when as was then issued a second one for staffing JLT.

Does anyone know if the expedition, various BSA stetsons, and and CS boonie hats still allowed as they are not mentioned in the pdf.

Thanks for the link, Eagle92. However, I would not trust it for patch placement. What that link has is nothing more than marketing slicks designed to sell the uniform. As others have noted, it's not necessarily in agreement with the Insignia Guide. Best bet is to wait until September, or you may be unpleasantly surprised.

Old SM,

Yes it's a marketing slick, but it is from national supply division. A poster version has been sent to all national scout shops and distributors to be posted, or so I've been told. Plus in the very breif conversation I had with a national scout shop manager, that's the way it's coming out in the insignia guide next month.