James West Fellowship Award Question

I have searched everywhere and came up with no clear answer to the question.

It has been asked of me that if a GROUP donates the $1000 or more to the James West Fellowship who can wear the knot?

A collection is being taken to honor the passing of an old Scoutmaster who gave over 50 years of his life to Scouting, and the Troop Committee wants to do this for him but of course this question arises. If the boys (aka parents of boy) contribute does the whole troop wear it? If someone contributes $5? $10? $50? a $100.

Any DE's out there with the answer

I always value you the forums insight and knowledge. Opinions? or point me to a clarifying directive (Yeah right)?

In this case, the group designates someone that they are honoring by making the donation. The named person would wear the knot. It sounds like the late scoutmaster is being honored, so his name would be listed in the councils list of people who have achieved the distinction of achieving that award, but of course, he would no longer be alive to wear it.

If you read the following website it sounds more like the person that makes the $1000 donation gets to wear the award, not the one who is honored by it.

http://www.iac-bsa.org/Finance/james_e_west.htm

But this site agrees with what was said about the one who is honored being the one who wears the Knot.

http://www.nwsc.org/finance/JamesEWest.pdf(This message has been edited by Eagle69)

Only individuals may be presented with the James West Award.

An individual may donate $1000 and get the Award.

OR a group may donate $1000 to honor someone with the Award.

For instance, many OA lodges routinely present 1 or 2 James West Awards to a member of the Lodge. The entire lodge does not receive the award, only that particular honoree.

I agree with jr56. In this case, the award is presented to the SM being honored...posthumously. Is his spouse or other family members still around? Mount the award in a nice frame and present it to the next-of-kin.