Two patches on sleeve?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Nephew was a Den Chief and an APL we went the 2 shirt route - he'd wear his DC shirt when he was working at the Pack Level and his APL shirt when he was working at the Troop level. When he dropped back down to one shirt w/ two positions he did as others here have suggested - APL/SPL (when the time came) patch and Den Chief Braids (including his Den Chief award braid).

YiS

Michelle

I have a Scout with the same issue...2 PORs and one shirt. this boy was the former ASPL and agreed to be Webelos Den Chief for a neighboring Pack. he is also very active in OA and asked to be the troop OA representative which has its own patch.

In talking with him, he doesnt want to wear the DC patch, but will wear the DC cords when the Pack presents them to him. He prefers the OA Rep. patch as he desires to spend more time doing OA things and seems to feel the DC patch will not be as prestigious as the OA Rep. one will be. I suggested velcro, he turned that idea down flat! I feel he doesnt want to have what he considers a "Cub Scout" patch on a Boy Scout uniform...this Scout is an enthusiastic uniform wearer (except for the hat).

I am happy he is enjoying being a Den Chief, and that he is further sharpening his leadership skills by serving boys younger than him...If he doesnt wear the DC patch, but will wear the DC cords...so much the better...if it works, dont fix it!

My concern is more how a boy can simultaneously and successfully carryout two difficult positions of responsibility.

Yah, F's got a point, eh?

I think this depends a lot on the size of the troop. Small troops tend to have both boys and adults who wear multiple hats. And that's OK, because in a small troop, it may be that an individual job isn't too large, eh? I reckon it's better to have a Scribe/Historian who gets the jobs done rather than handin' out patches to kids who aren't ready for responsibility just because they're all that's available.

I reckon I see a lot of dual Den Chief / Troop position kids, though. Almost always because they help out with a younger brother's pack. Seems to work OK in most cases, but I always wonder if another lad in the troop might have worked better. No parent "pushing", and Den Chief is a nice step into leadership for a 2nd or 3rd year lad who might not be elected/appointed to a troop position.

Beavah

"GW: the Musician office doesn't count toward POR, maybe that's why the patch has its own position on the right sleeve."

That could be true but what about the Assistant Patrol Leader patch?

I think that it is more likely because someone could be a PL, Librarian, or anything else and still be a Musician.

I'm sorry to see Margaret go. I hope she's still at least lurking in hopes of getting an answer to her question.

First off Margret - congrats to your son on being elected as Patrol Leader. That's an important position in the Troop(one of the most important, in my opinion) so your son should wear his Patrol Leader badge on his uniform. Now the simple answer to your question is "No, he can only wear one POR badge at a time on the uniform). (All that folderol about the Musician badge can be ignored - unless his Troop has put together its own little band, it's not even something to think about).

Now in most cases, when a Scout is holding two Positions of Responsibility, he should wear the most important position badge - for instance if your son was Patrol Leader and Scribe, he should wear the Patrol Leader badge.

However, the BSA recognizes that the most common second POR that a Scout may hold at the same time is Den Chief, just like your son. It isn't unusual at all for a Den Chief to also serve another POR in his Troop.

The BSA also recognizes that Den Chief is also a very important position in a Troop. Den Chief is a key recruiter for Cub Scout (Webelos) to Boy Scout crossover. The BSA learned years ago that a Cub Scout who had a Den Chief is more likely to crossover to Boy Scouts than a Cub Scout who didn't have a Den Chief.

To make matters more interesting, Den Chief is a very rare position in Scouting as it is both a POR in a Troop and a leadership position in a Pack (although your son won't be registered in the Pack). To recognize this, the BSA has created a Den Chief POR badge (usually handed out by the Troop) and a Den Chief Cord (usually handed out by the Pack - Blue and Gold for a Cub Den Chief and Red, Blue and Gold for a Webelos Den Chief). The Den Chief Cord isn't worn when the Den Chief POR badge is worn. BUT - the Den Chief Cord CAN be worn, and SHOULD be worn, when a Scout is sporting another POR badge (like Patrol Leader) on his uniform.

So, because your son is a Patrol Leader and a Den Chief, there is a way he can wear something to indicate that he's doing these two important jobs. The Patrol Leader POR and the Den Chief cord. If he doesn't have a Den Chief cord, ask the Pack to get him one (or the Troop if the Pack can't afford it). What's neat is that Den Chief is the ONLY POR that can be recognized on a uniform with another POR. And there is a real good reason for that too - imagine a 9 year old Cub Scout looking at his Den Chiefs uniform and seeing a patch on it that say's Patrol Leader - he's going to ask "What is that?" (warn your son to have an answer) - it really adds to the "WOW" factor of Boy Scouts.

Now if I haven't bored you yet, may I suggest that your son talk to the Den Leader or Cubmaster he works with to find out what he would need to do to earn the Den Chief Service Award? This is a Red, White and Blue cord similar to the Den Chief cords, which can be worn with the Den Chief cord as long as your son is still an active Den Chief, and then can be worn until he turns 18 even if he is no longer a Den Chief (and no longer wears the Den Chief Cord). I was a Den Chief for 7 years - of all the awards I earned or had bestowed upon me in Scouting (including awards received as an adult), only two awards top the Den Chief Service Award I earned - Vigil Honor of the OA and Eagle Scout (in that order BTW)

Hope this answers your question.

Calico

The Den Chief Cord isn't worn when the Den Chief POR badge is worn.

Gee, that sounds like a den chief shouldnt wear the den chief cord. Im guessing thats not what you meant, maybe you could clarify. Who else would wear it if not the den chief?

Multiple positions of responsibility may be practiced by some troops, but multiple positions is not encouraged or approved by BSA. Of course I could be wrong and if so someone will surely point out the publication that discusses multiple positions of responsibility.

Although it would make sense that you don't wear the cord and patch at the same time, that isn't supported by the literature.

I never gave it any thought before but they should have one or the other, patch or cord. I'd prefer the cord for historic reasons.

My concern is more how a boy can simultaneously and successfully carryout two difficult positions of responsibility.

Who cares! That has nothing to do with the question that started this thread.

Two shirts would work. A little pricey, though. One shirt & two patches with Velcro would be a more affordable method.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I went ahead and answered the post my-post questions in the thread that Beavah was kind enough to spin off.

I did want to say, though, that I was a little surprised - I figured I'd get much more grief for stating that my Vigil Honor tops my Eagle as the best award I received in the BSA.

CP

Okay, to be honest with everyone....

scouts will not care what a Boy Scout Publication will be and unless it causes an issue of safety or grave concern adults should not force these things upon scouts.

to prove my point regarding caring about a Boy Scout Publication (Insignia Guide for this time) look at the number of scouts in your unit who are SLOW at converting their old badges for their new one, especially when it doesn't deal with rank or if they have not been appointed to a new position.