New Uniforms

"As far as uniforms go, it needs to be relevent, but practical."

Relevant? The Navy tried a relevant uniform back in the 70s and soon switched back to the irrelevant traditional uniform.

Maybe get rid of the silly epaulets and shoulder loops. Especially since the loop colors don't make historic sense. It used to be green garter tassles for Boy Scouts and red for Explorers so what color loops do boy Scouts get? Red and Venturers (ne Explorers) got green.

Get rid of the text on position patches. Make the long sleeved shirt with a proper collar so I can wear my green necktie.

Oh heck. Let's just go with tennis shirts and jeans since that's what most people seem to want to wear. :-)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting that Army uniforms were mentioned. The last time the U.S. Army changed their dress uniform (eliminated khakis and changed tan shirts to gray-green), the BSA came out with a new uniform (1980 was an expensive year). Now that the Army is changing their dress uniform again (eliminating greens and whites and keeping only blues) we now hear that the BSA may be changing.

Ed

"If switchbacks are ever going to be the only pants choice, they'll need to make them so they fit the scouts who aren't rail thin!!"

How true. They are a bit generous. My son has the smallest waist they make and they're still too big.

I have a waist around a 38 and the large fit me fine. In fact, the medium fit but are bit snug in the seat. Someone needs to explain American sizing to the Chinese.

• 2 weeks later...

Down here, some folks claim to have seen the new uniform shirt. It is described as brown (sorry, I didn't ask if it was light or dark), and similar to the tan Action shirt, but with a little heavier fabric that will hold patches better. They think it is a nylon/poly blend that should be much more practical in the outdoors, probably something similar to one of Columbia's nicer outdoor shirts. The timeframe I'm hearing is early next year, possibly even January.

As for the switchbacks, I'm not looking forward to wearing those in winter. Nylon in the cold is not a good combination.

Better than cotton, eh? ;)

Honestly, in real winter you're goin' to be wearin' a waterproof/breathable shell pant or an insulated ski, hunting, or snowmobile pant or suit. Nobody's goin' to be wearin' a "regular" pant of any kind.

In "fake" winter like some of yeh southerners have, just put a pair of polypro long johns under your switchbacks. A fine and cozy combination.

Though I wouldn't mind if supply chose to add a nice poly-wool blend pant as an official alternative, eh? :)

Beavah

sorry to interrupt, but what's it about this nylon/polyester clothing all the time?

I fail to see why they prescribe plastic clothing in the BSA.

Not sure what your retailers are likely to carry over there in Germany, eh? But if yeh look at any professional outdoorsmen, mountaineers, sailors, paddlers, skiers, etc. you'll find plastic clothing, eh? Lighter, warmer, not scratchy, comes in fun colors.

Plus, we have a lot more plastic bottles to recycle than we have sheep. ;) So wool stuff is pretty pricey and not always available in kid sizes. PolyFleece can be found in any big-box discount store for cheap.

Wool ain't a bad insulator even when wet, but it does hold water and get heavy. You'll typically see it mostly in socks, hats, and gloves for workin' around the stove here. And cotton is "death cloth" below 50 degrees in wet weather.

So it's pretty hard to find anything but plastic clothing in reputable outdoor shops in da U.S., eh?

Beavah

Gold Winger said:

"The Air Force is comical. Back in the 90s' they spent millions coming up with a new uniform because the zoomsters said the existing uniform looked "too military and not professional." Now they want to change again because the current (new) uniform doesn't look military."

I work on an AF base. A few years ago there was a "trial" of new BDUs (cammo uniforms) in various hues of blue. The general reaction was "What am I supposed to do if somebody is shooting at me? Jump into the sky and try to look like a cloud?"

The following was posted to Scouts-L on Oct 7th by Jay Lenrow under the Subject heading "New Uniform - Update":

Yesterday at the National Meetings in Irving, I had the opportunity to

actually see the prototype of the new uniform. I can report that the

colors have not changed. The shirt is still desert tan but it is made

of a quick dry fabric. The epaulets have remained but the tabs for Boy

Scouts will now be a muted green color. On the left sleeve, there is a

bellows pocket with a flap where the position patch goes. The troop

numerals have a tan background with darker tan numbers. I could not

tell if the patch is held on by velcro or not. Each of the chest

pockets is a bellows type pocket with velcro closures. The overall look

was very understated which made the colorful CSP and OA flap look

somewhat out of place.

The pants are an update of the switchback pants. Each leg has a large

bellows type pocket with velcro closures. It is hard to tell but

because of the size of the pocket, the zipper for the leg bottoms

appears to be at or below the knee.

It was unclear whether this was the actual new uniform or a work in

progress. It was explained to me that this change came from National

Supply, which has the authority to tweak the current uniform. A radical

makeover (e.g. changing the colors) would have to come from the Boy

Scout Committee.

Jay L. Lenrow

Chairman -- National Jewish Committee on Scouting

Area 5 Metro President -- Northeast Region

Member -- National Relationships Standing Committee

Member -- National Religious Relationships Committee

Past President -- Baltimore Area Council

I used to be a Buffalo (NE IV-123) but I'll always be an Eagle (1966)

Proud son of a Life Scout and proud father of an Eagle

What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Better than cotton, eh? "

Not really. At least when cotton is dry, it provides some insulation. Nylon never does. Also, the thin nylon doesn't stand up to abrasion. I do have a synthetic jacket for riding my 'Wing but that's a whole 'nother animal.

As for cold weather, I went to school in the northern midwest. I've seen cold but I never said "Gee, I wish I had plastic clothing."

"The epaulets have remained but the tabs for Boy Scouts will now be a muted green color. "

Oh boy, more stuff to spend money on. Well, at least they are green.

"On the left sleeve, there is a bellows pocket with a flap where the position patch goes."

Never saw the purpose behind a "sleeve pocket" unless you are flying and your harness covers your other pockets. Maybe on the ACU because those guys are always wearing a vest but they usually aren't large enough to hold anything useful.

"Each of the chest pockets is a bellows type pocket with velcro closures."

Ah, velcro. The universal lint collector. Something most forget is that velcro wears out and more difficult to replace than a button.

As described to me by a (very) highly placed source, the big picture effect is to "get the red out", which is consistent with Kudu's post. I think this does partially help with Jeffrey H's concern about being a walking billboard.