How important are neckerchiefs?

emb021,

That is why I said IMO. The insignia guide specifically states that if the neckerchief is not worn OVER the collar the collar should be unbuttoned. I just think wearing it under the collar with an open collar looks the same as wearing a long hand tie under the collar with the collar unbuttoned, sloppy.

LongHaul

If "do my best" does not mean "try", then what does it mean? When you pick up a rifle and aim it at a target, you are going to "do your best" to hit the bull's eye. You give it a "try". Buy saying the oath, a scout is aiming at a set of values. Failure to do so goes against his honor. You WILL shoot the gun, but you TRY to hit the bull's eye.

I position the slide at the second button. I looks neater that way. I also wear a gray or blue colored tee - a clean one

As per posts from other boards on WSJ, most Scouts from other countries wear their neckers with any clothing, even when out of uniform. It is the neckers that identify them as Scouts. Wonder what would happen if we proposed to the boys, "Class A's without neckers, or Tees or Polos with neckers. Make a choice", which they would choose.

I have old BSA neckers from the 70's, Special made Leadership Corp neckers, OA neckers, etc. Wonder what would happen if we did like the rest of the world, with event neckers instead of patches.

• 2 months later...

Oscar de la Renta designed the current uniform to be worn without a neckerchief, that's why it just doens't work with it. The neckerchief was added as an optional item to satisfy traditionalists.

I find it interesting that in the old Scout handbooks it says that if you haven't bought a uniform yet that you wear your neckerchief with regular clothes. Now the uniform guide says the neckerchief is only to be worn with the field uniform.

I wear a neckerchief when hiking. Not a BSA necker but a big triangle of cotton cloth. It absorbs sweats, can be a hat, cleans my glasses, etc..

Leave the neckerchief as cotton no poly-cotton, it irons nicely and is absorbant. Poly-cotton doesn't absorb squat. If you made it from knitted poly-razmataz, they'd look like junk and would be useless as a bandage.

The neckerchief should be allowed with troop shirts or the activity shirt. It could identify units and would serve all of the useful purposes that BP said it would.

Gold Winger, I am in agreement with you. The large old full-square cotton neckerchiefs are comfortable, absorbant,and look fantastic. I wear them when hiking and keep them for first-aid demonstrations. Pictures of Scouts taken in the 1950's for National Geographic show boys in full uniform and boys in tee shirts. But every one of them is wearing a neckerchief. Trains Magazine recently ran a story on railroading and the 1950's National Jamborees at Valley Forge. Every Scout in every picture is wearing a neckerchief. And they are so clearly identified as Boy Scouts. The neckerchief is the universal symbol of Scouting. Scouts in other parts of the world proudly wear their scarves even without any other uniform item. And everyone recognizes them as Scouts.