Custom unit Patches.....?

I ran across a uniform that has a custom unit patch on it. It says at the top "50 years of Scouting" and the unit number is silver "137". It has a red background and a silver border. It also has a bootprint on it. I know you can get the custom unit patches from national with just the unit number but are they offering a "100 years of scouting" Unit patch? Has anybody else seen custom unit patches?

Huh?

Our Troop has had a patch since Year 1. It's designed to be sewn onto a neckerchief.

My youth Troop (1968-73 or so) had a custom neckerchief. Saved the families big bucks over what National wanted for one of those printed neckers.

When you consider the custom neckers so many Troops have, there's fair amount of custom sewing out there in support of the Program.

Well, since you asked

Custom unit-designed patches are not permitted to be worn on the BSA uniform.

The Insignia Guide is quite explicit that only local councils and the national council are authorized to design and release uniform patches. Councils may do so for events like camporees or summer camp, but the design must meet set criteria and be approved by the national council first.

A Boy Scout patrol may make a custom patrol badge using the blank patrol patch available at the Scout shop.