Northern Tier's Red Wool Jacket ... GOOD STUFF

Folks,

First of all, I have no relationship with this firm, other than as a very satisfied customer.

My son has had a red wool BSA jacket for a couple of years now. I found an old, yet New in the Bag, jacket out online for far less than what Supply Corporation charges.

He outgrew it. He's 6' 3" now, size large fits him well in the chest (and will for some years to come, but Large doesn't help him in the sleeves. He's a Large/Long!!

BSA Supply Corporation does not consider tall people in their sizing plan. They go S-XXXXL and have a good day. Additionally, the official wool jacket is now "wool blend" by the Scoutstuff website.

From another forum here, I found Bemidji Woolen Mills, in Bemidji, MN. They supply red wool BSA jackets to Northern Tier's trading post. I bought one of these for my son. Large/Long. Note the LONG :). Further, their jackets are still 100% virgin wool!

It came yesterday. When I broke it out of the box (to have his OA/Mic-o-Say patches applied and his Philmont Bull to go over the shoulder), I was instantly impressed with the quality of the garment. The cloth is heavier, it has a tighter weave, and it has a feature BSA coats don't have: Slash pockets in the sides.

Based on the prices at scoutstuff, WHEN I ORDERED IT, the Bemidji coat was also less expensive: $145 SHIPPED v Scoutstuff's $152- $157 + tax. (Truth in data: Scoutstuff as of today (12/8/06) has priced wool jackets at $99-$104).

If you are in a truly cold climate regime, you may want to have a serious look at this coat:

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?id=voyscout

To Bill Batchelder of Bemidji Woolen Mills: THANK YOU!

YIS(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Hi John in KC, I have one of the Nortern Tier Scout jackets on my Christmas list and am glad to read your post regarding the quality of this product. I have seen a jacket posted on e-Bay that was claiming to be a Northern Tier jacket and it did indeed have the lower slash pockets but also had a half belt on the waist of the coat on the back. Does the jacket you purchased for your son have the belt?

While I have your attention, I would also like to know if this jacket is longer than the Supply division one made by Woolrich? Thanks for your time John,...Merry Christmas, YiS Will Kirchmayer, T131 Glaciers Edge council.