Uniformed at a Council Campout

This past weekend we attended a Cub world campout. I wore the uniform green pants, tan shirt and beads and my son wore a pack t-shirt. Maybe 10 of the 150 plus scouts worn a blue or tan shirt.

What struck me is that I was one of maybe four adults out of 70 of which many were leaders, in green & tan. The camp staff were even all in T-shirts.

In practice, we are not a uniformed organization.

By choice packs prefer kids in t-shirts.

Adults prefer to wear t-shirts.

The uniform policy is not adheard too.

The policy doesn't match the preferences of the group it was designed to serve.

A primary goal of the policy was a unifying look for acceptance.

Since the policy is ignored, the intension of a singular identity is lost.

To meet the goal of a unfiying look a new policy should be written.

The new policy should revise the uniform to one that will be worn.

The new policy should use T-shirts since this is the prefered dress for both adults and childern doing outdoor activities.

In my experience (12 years as a cub leader), at cub campouts, everyone (adults and scouts) wears their uniform at flag-raising and lowering, campfire and Sunday service. During the day for activities, people mostly take off their uniform shirts and wear t-shirts (if it's warm enough), though some leaders and boys will wear their uniforms all day. Fewer boys have their uniform on later in the day (for flag-lowering and campfire) usually because they ran out of time to change or they forgot.

I don't see a problem with not wearing the uniform for running around, doing water bucket relays and obstacle courses and crafts; the uniform is a dress uniform, for meetings. A campout is not a meeting. If the camp staff were all wearing staff t-shirts, they were easy to identify if someone needed help.

You have referenced a "uniform policy" in the original post on this thread. What does this "policy" state and where is it to be found? What BSA publication are you sourcing this "policy" from?

I consider myself to be a "uniform guy",ie; I wear my uniform to all scout activities and encourage my fellow scouters to do so as well so we may set a good example for scouts to follow.

Some aspects of scouting outdoor activities dont benefit from wearing the field uniform (AKA Class A's). However, an acivity uniform (AKA Class B's) which normally comprise a Scout themed T-shirt and may include uniform pants or shorts, are generally better suited for an activity such as you described.

I can sense what you are suggesting in your post by having a "policy" to govern or regulate what scouts and scouters SHOULD be attired in, but I wouldnt hold my breath on it as getting all members to dress uniformly is akin to herding cats or pushing a rope....its at best frustrating.

Perhaps the event or activity coordinators/staff could publish the suggested uniform to be worn and for what events it is encouraged to be so attired? As I previously stated, I am a uniform guy...I make sure I wear it as correctly as it should be, but I refrain from preaching to other scouters and scouts to do the same...I feel the silent example is the way to be most effective in promoting proper uniforming...and no one will accuse you of being the local uniform police either. Good luck to you in encouraging your fellow scouters and scouts to be scout like in their attire.

In the days before the Oscar de la Renta uniform, there was never a problem. Our troop never had its own T-shirt, we always wore our uniform.

Perhaps a return to the green shirt, green pants may be in order. They looked good and fit good too. Smaller collars, easy to war a neckerchief too.

At our resident camp for Cubs, uniforms are highly recommended for flag ceremonies, Scout's Own Service, and other "formal" occassions.  Most of the leaders and boys are in uniform for these occassions.  If they are not, it's no big deal.  The rest of the time in camp we are in street clothes or pack t-shirts.

Gonzo1 states:  "In the days before the Oscar de la Renta uniform, there was never a problem. Our troop never had its own T-shirt, we always wore our uniform.   Perhaps a return to the green shirt, green pants may be in order. They looked good and fit good too. Smaller collars, easy to war a neckerchief too."

I was a Boy Scout in those "green shirt" days and what our Troop practiced regarding uniforming was the same as today.  We generally did not wear uniforms to highly active acitivities because we did not want to get them dirty prior to a time when we were required to wear them (flag ceremonies, etc.).  Most boys only had one uniform shirt and they had to take care of it for the duration of summer camp.

My expearance was like Jeffrey H, most boys didn't own uniform pants.

Favorite t-shirt was one with the summer camp logo on it, most boys in my troop thought summer camp was the high point of their Scouting year. Most of us would be at formations in blue jeans but every last one of us had on our uniform shirts and troop neckerchiefs, ironed or tight rolled and looking sharp.

Jeffery H and Prairie,

All I can say is that we didn't have a problem. We NEVER wore blue jeans with a uniform shirt. Try showing up to play football in pads, helmet, jersey and cut-offs. Our athlete scouts would change clothes in the restroom before a meeting.

It was a little different at summer camp. Uniform for meals and flags, usually a camp t-shirt during the day with uniform shorts.

Everyone (scouts) wore the troop neckerchief. It was custom made and everyone wanted to show that they were a part of Troop 45!

If a scout couldn't afford a uniform, he quickly learned how to push a lawn mower or snow shovel. He also had hand-me-downs.

Well, this was the early 70s, sports programs provided the gear those kids needed.

Some time back when a youth I had both the shorts and the pants, both are long gone now as I out grew them, still have the garters and tabs tho.

I have long felt the best way to lead is by example, so as a Scouter my being in full uniform should at least encourage the boys to wear their uniform shirts to meetings. Wish neckerchiefs were popular still.

True, you can't play football unless you've wearing the gear - It's an hazardous sport. In Scouting, you can still do scouting activities with or without the uniform pants and no one will send you home for not wearing them (unless your Troop 45).

I will admit that the old olive green collarless shirts looked much better with the neckerchiefs. The old shirts were made for them and did not look good without them.

I always wear the neckerchief. It's the traditional identifying mark of a scout uniform. I wish they came in bigger sizes.

I have nothing against our uniforms.

Please, lets not have yet another long thread about what was, what is and what could be.

As I see it and yes I could be wrong!! (I thought I was once but I made a mistake!!) The question is when should we wear the uniform?

"Boy Scouts and Scout leaders proudly wear the full uniform for all ceremonial and indoor activities including troop meetings, boards of review, and courts of honor. The uniform should also be worn during special outdoor occasions, such as flag ceremonies, Scout shows, and special times during summer camp.

During physically active outdoor events and informal activities, Scouts may wear an activity uniform -- troop or camp T-shirts with Scout pants or shorts.

When Not To Wear The Uniform:

"Do not wear the uniform while selling a commercial product or service, even for Scout fundraising purposes.

Do not wear the uniform in situations that might mistakenly imply an endorsement by the BSA of a product, service, political candidate, or philosophy. Scouts and Scouters are encouraged to take part in political matters as private individuals but not while wearing the uniform.

Do not wear the uniform while engaged in any activity that could dishonor or discredit the Boy Scouts of America, the uniform, or the person wearing it"

Some of the TV ads before the election in our area had candidates with Scouts in uniform.

You have 3 guesses to guess which party!!

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

Where are you quoting the following from?

When Not To Wear The Uniform:

"Do not wear the uniform while selling a commercial product or service, even for Scout fundraising purposes.

Are you saying the boys shouldn't wear their uniforms when selling popcorn? My Cub Leader book says uniforms may be worn:

"During a councilwide produce sale or event authorized by the local council's executive board."

We may be saying the same thing - just want to verify.

Don't get too upset Its Me. Most scouts and scouters don't wear the uniform shirt when doing outdoor activities, for various reasons that have already been stated by other posters. I always wear the uniform, just because I feel I should be setting the proper example. In the end, you just have to do what you feel is right, and not worry too much about what everybody else is doing.