Suitable temporary replacements?

Back in the day I used to have a complete uniform, and wore it proudly to every scouting event I went to. Then I turned 18, school and work picked up, and it got packed away. These days I don't know where my old uniform pants and belt have escaped to (or if said pants still fit, for that matter), and being a student I don't have the extra money on hand to throw $50 into a new pair of pants.

I do, however, have a blue suit that matches the Cub Scout epaulets I'm wearing rather well.

I was wondering what people thought about using that as an alternative until I can get a real pair of uniform pants again, or if I should just wait and continue using jeans until such time.

Kaji,

have you tried the local thrift shops? Goodwill, salvation army stores? Many times you can find absolutely great buys. My wife loves yard sales...I have a who garage corner full of bargains... I have three shirts, paid full price for the first, $2.00 for the short sleeve and $1.00 for a nice old fashion cotton BSA shirt (but she makes me iron the darn thing!). Pants- BDUs at the surplus store for $20.00 at a yard sale for $3.00 and BSA "designer dress pants" (ugh) $5.00! mess kits- 50 cents! (have five of the darn things)

this spring start checking the sales...now-hit the thrift shops! Seek and ye shall find!

good luck

Anarchist

Basically, we should strive to wear a uniform consisting of official components. I think most of us do that, but, sometimes practicality causes some to do otherwise.

Personally, I wear official uniform components for MOST activities as do most of the members of the units I am associated with. And I think this is probably pretty much the same situation in most places.

In our troop, if the family has financial issues, we advise them to get the Boy Scout Handbook first. Then at least the uniform shirt. The unit provides the unit numbers, red shoulder loops, patrol patch, and position patch if any. And we have a small uniform bank. We were actually able to mostly outfit one new Scout with shirt, patches, and pants. But they had to get the belt, cap, socks, neckerchief and slide. So that saved that Scout alot of money.

With the growth rate of Scout aged youth, we always suggest that they buy uniform parts that are a bit large. As the saying goes, "they will grow into it". We tolerate pants and short that are not official but suggest that they be similar to the official pants such as cargo pants or shorts - and we allow the wear of such pants and shorts for hiking, working in camp, etc. My opinion is that the "field" uniform is not the best type of clothing for the field. Especailly the pants. The shirt is not bad, but those offician pants just don't hold up long under field conditions.

We do try to keep a uniform bank of "experienced" uniforms. We also suggest that they try thift shops, flea markets etc. I am not a big fan of ebay but that might be a source also.

We would rather have someone in the program than to not have them just for lack of a uniform or components. We do have a few adults in out unit that don't have official pants or shorts but they try to wear something that is close. I for example just was able to purchase official Venturing pants - I was wearing a pair of very similar grey cargo pants. While those Venturing pants pants are durable, in my opinion they are not worth what the BSA charges for them. And I don't like the rear pockets. But I think that the Boy Scout pants should be more like the Venturing pants.

I don't particularly care for blue jeans or even worse sweat pants or those floppy nylon basketball type shorts to be worn with the uniform shirt.

Many believe that if the official uniform components were not so expensive, many more people would purchase official uniform. For examply I would like to see improvements in the official olive pants in the way of more durable material, put real cargo pockets on them, and make them "convertible" so that the legs can be zipped off to make shorts. The shirt is not bad but I would change most of the insignia to pin on or velcro - specifically the unit numbers (many are multiple registered in other units), position patch, quality unit. I think the little plastice holder for temporary patches on the right pocket are great. I would change the square knots to military style ribbons. I would make the neckerchief larger - maybe even going to the older square version that is folded into a triangle - make it truely versatile again. I would change the Trained patch to either a pin or a ribbon. Probably a ribbon with devices for each type of training would work well. We spend way too much for sew on patches and then have to pay to have them sewn on. Course I don't really expect many if any of those changes to take place.

So "suitable" I guess is in the eyes of the beholder. Some I know will flat tell you, wear the whole uniform or none at all. I think that is a bit harsh (which you would find difficulat to believe given my background) but again, I would rather have someone in the program doing the best they can. Bottom line is that according to the rules, you are supposed to wear the official uniform components.

Just my opinion.

Owl62 I'd agree with a lot of what you said. Just one question: whom do you pay to sew on all those patches?

Sewing ranks right down there with cleaning toilets on my list of things to do in my free time. I don't own (and don't want) a sewing machine, and when my son was in cubs there was a lot of sewing to do (they've got patches for everything!) between him, my den leader husband, my various pack positions, my woodbadge shirt, and district stuff. Actually I did resort to velcro for the unit #s and position patches on my shirt because I couldn't afford to buy a bunch of different shirts for each position. Plus when someone complains that they don't like how you're doing things (without offering constructive feedback or volunteering to help themselves), it can be convenient to un-velcro that position patch and offer it to them on the spot....

Thankfully I'm finding the rate of change has slowed down now that my son is out of cubs and into boy scouts. And now he gets to sew on most of his own patches - darned if I'll do it for him forever. I made a concession for my husband - who can sew - because it was the only condition he placed on wearing the uniform so I caved, I'll admit. But, ah, hire someone else to do it? Even by hand and with rudimentary skills it doesn't take that long to stitch on a badge.

Lisa'bob

I didn't mean for my response to be "harsh". What I meant was, if you can't/won't wear a complete uniform, for whatever reason, then the question of what's "suitable" is really up to the wearer. I don't always wear a complete uniform when camping, but I do try to keep the colors reasonably close. What really gives me heartburn is for scouts (and adults) to show up for flags at summer camp with a uniform shirt and bright orange (or red, yellow, green, etc) shorts. At least make an effort...

All of my uniform parts now come from eBay. SOmetimes you can get shirts with the tags still on for half price. My favorite was the "Den Leader shirt - only worn once" - lol.

The last time anyone else sewed on a patch for me was when I was about 11 years old, when my mom turned the job over to me.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

On sewing of patches - check with your local cleaners/tailor. We have a local merchant who is sympathetic to Scouting and will do a complete Boy scout uniform shirt for $10.00. What a bargain! I hope the guy never retires!

The only thing domestic about me is that I live in a house. That being said, I REALLY don't like to sew. We use several solutions in our troop...sometimes I take a sewing machine to a troop meeting & the boys use it. Sometimes we have a parent who can't/won't help with camping and is happy to help by sewing patches. Often we look for a "push-over" who will do it (yep, that'd be me!) In 20+ years of Scouting, I think we've only had one family who actually paid someone to sew them on. Boys can learn this skill...with a needle & thread no less! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE: "I was wondering what people thought about using that as an alternative until I can get a real pair of uniform pants again, or if I should just wait and continue using jeans until such time."

As a Cub Scout leader, navy blue cotton pants (Dockers style) coordinate really well with the navy blue shoulder loops and the blue cub leader neckerchief. It's not BSA official, but it looks better and dressier than blue jeans. In fact, I think it looks better than BSA official because it represents the primary color of Cub Scouting.

For the purists our there, don't cringe. I'll be getting those official BSA pants pretty soon.

Hey there!

Lucked out and found a pair for $16 with shipping on eBay, came in just the other day. Need to put the hem back in them, but otherwise they turned out to be a good fit. Thanks for the advice!