Eagle BOR and uniform

"A member of a Venturing unit is still a Scout!"

No they are not. A member of a Venturing Crew is a Venturer. The term 'scout' does not apply to them and never has. This is why they are NOT called "Venturing Scouts" or some similiar term.

"How Clintonian do you want to get? "

Uh, what does Clinton have to do with this? Please leave your political views out of this.

OK I stand corrected. But they are still members of the BSA.

As far as Clintonian, remember he wanted to define the word "is". Just trying to draw the comparison but then art was never my strong point.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

"OK I stand corrected. But they are still members of the BSA."

Wasn't argued on that point. Venturers are most definetly BSA members. Our shirts say "Venturing, BSA". But Venturers are NOT Scouts, and some will get a little teasty about that point. They are NOT "Venture Scout", "Venturing Scouts", "Venturer Scouts" or any other kind of Scout. ["Sea Scouts" are proper, but that's a special program within Venturing]

A big mistake some make is thinking that Venturing is just (as another venturing leader put it) "Old Boy Scouts with Girls and spruce green shirts".

To get really picky...I would argue that a Venturer who is attending his Eagle BOR may not currently be a Boy Scout in one sense--but in another sense he is a Scout--specifically, he's a Life Scout, or he couldn't be there. The little patch he gets if he passes the BOR says "Eagle Scout" right on it, not "Eagle Venturer." I suppose you could say he "holds Life Scout rank" but isn't a Life Scout.

But, if he's only registered in a crew, I don't think he's entitled to wear a Boy Scout uniform to the BOR. My point was--and still is--that if you go to an Eagle BOR and see a candidate in jeans and a t-shirt, a clown costume, or a medieval suit of armor, that may in fact be his uniform.

"To get really picky...I would argue that a Venturer who is attending his Eagle BOR may not currently be a Boy Scout in one sense--but in another sense he is a Scout--specifically, he's a Life Scout, or he couldn't be there. The little patch he gets if he passes the BOR says "Eagle Scout" right on it, not "Eagle Venturer." I suppose you could say he "holds Life Scout rank" but isn't a Life Scout. "

When we say someone is a "scout", we are basically saying they are a "Boy Scout" or "Varsity Scout". A Venturer is not a scout. Holding the Life Scout rank or Eagle Scout rank doesn't quite apply here.

"But, if he's only registered in a crew, I don't think he's entitled to wear a Boy Scout uniform to the BOR. My point was--and still is--that if you go to an Eagle BOR and see a candidate in jeans and a t-shirt, a clown costume, or a medieval suit of armor, that may in fact be his uniform. "

No, a Venturer who is only a Venturer has no business wearing a Boy Scout uniform. He should be wearing the uniform that his Crew has choicen, ideally the green and gray uniform, or something else. Because of this is why they recommend that in the case of an EBOR for a Venturer that you have atleast one person on the board familiar with the Venturing program to avoid the issue of some 'old guard' scout leader who gets bent out of shape because a Venturer shows up in something other then a tan Boy Scout uniform.

In order to have any board of review in my troop you need to be in full class A uniform. Especially for eagle. I mean, getting Eagle is suppossed to be something you remember for the rest of your life. When i had my eagle board, my uniform was pressed, and i have to say, i looked pretty impressive. i'd be very embarresed to find that one of my scouts showed up to an eagle board in civilian clothing.

Meechgalanne,

Then you are adding to the requirements and that's a no-no.

I agree that a Scout should wear his uniform to any BOR. And we as leaders should encourage wearing the uniform to all BOR's. Encourage not require.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

Some time ago there was another thread about a scout that several piercings and someone was upset about him not removing them for his EBOR.

I sat on a BOR for a young man with green hair. But you should have seen all the work he had done.

He was a great scout and I voted to pass him.

As far as the uniform. If he has a uniform I would expect him to wear it. He his troop has not encouraged their members to have uniforms you can not add a requirement. Since BSA does not require a uniform to be a member, if you require a uniform for BOR then you have added a requirement. I personally think that a uniform in some form should be required. If nothing more than a shirt with a nice pair of jeans of pants.

They should both be pressed and neat. But to exclude a boy because of a uniform I would vote NO.

When I was an Explorer in the early 70's, the Sea Scouts changed to Sea Explorers. Now they are back to Sea Scouts and Explorers are now Venturers which is not the same as a Venture Patrol, and Explorers are some other group part of Learning for Life that is not part of the BSA, but really is, except that gays and atheists can join because so many of the COs are govt agencies that can't discriminate. And then there's Varsity, which is part of the BSA but is really sports, and was created for the LDS church but is open to all, but I don't know of any non-Mormon units. I'm so confused. Am I still a Scouter?