Travel and Uniforms

Hi Forum Folks,

Was recently told at an adult leader training that Scouts/Leaders are required to wear Official Uniform while traveling to events in order for insurance coverage to apply. Has anyone heard this before? Not sure if it's accurate. If it is, can anyone tell me where to find it in the insurance or scouting literature?

I realize this may open a "can of worms" since I see many posts and discussions about Class A, Class B, wear the uniform, don't wear the uniform, etc. Just wondering if there is really any kind of policy as regards insurance.

It is really sad when a "trainer" perpetuates an urban legend such as this. It makes one wonder what other myths and misinformation were presented at your training. A good general rule is that if a statement cannot be supported in a BSA publication, it's just an opinion, at best.

Thanks guys. I really didn't think it was true, but it was told to me by a Scouter with many many years of experience. Being a new SM, I sometimes take another, more experienced, Scouter's word for things for a while until I have time to check it out myself.

I go straight from work to our district's roundtable sometimes (roundtable is east of work, home is west of work, if I went home travel distance increases two-fold). Let's say I get in an automobile accident on the way. Does my personal insurance apply? I'm fairly sure the answer is yes. Will the liability coverage that is bought by the BSA apply? What if I'm on my way home to get my uniform and an accident occurs? What if I'm driving home and am somewhat ambivalent on attending tonight's roundtable and I get in an accident? Should I try and use BSA coverage? All good questions and I don't have definitive answers but while not required, the wearing of the uniform is a good idea and a possible indicator that one is on a Scouting function.

I remember when I was a Cub Scout leader I would specifically state to parents that travel to and from some of our outings (activity badge workshop for example) was NOT Scout function because I was repeatedly saddled with transporting their children to and from the meeting. I was the only adult in the car so I did not want to violate G2SS regs.

"I was the only adult in the car so I did not want to violate G2SS regs."

Some of you will groan to hear it, but in the interest of clarifying another myth, there is no restriction against having only one adult in a car. The rule that is sometimes confused is no one-on-one contact. One adult and more than one boy is not one-on-one.

FScouter, my reference was for two-deep leadership.

1. Two-deep leadership.

Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings. The chartered organization is responsible for ensuring that sufficient leadership is provided for all activities.

2. During transportation to and from planned Scout outings,

A) Meet for departure at a designated area.

B) Prearrange a schedule for periodic checkpoint stops as a group.

C) Plan a daily destination point. A common departure site and a daily destination point are a must. If you cannot provide two adults for each vehicle, the minimum required is one adult and two or more youth membersnever one on one.

Now, does transporting nine Cub Scouts in three cars with each car occupied by one adult but not having a common departure point constitute two-deep leadership?

In our unit, we trained Scouters implicitly encourage this myth (or at least we don't actively deny it) just to have a rock-solid reason to insist on full field uniform while traveling; kids won't argue with mysterious "insurance" requirements. (Of course if a driver ever had an incident on the road, we would make sure that they knew of BSA full coverage.)

1). Uniform is not required to be a scout...so how can you require it to travel?

2). two deep is only applicable in transport if driver would be alone in the car with the scout (a single- not your own son passenger)(good 'catch' FScouter)

the uniform while traveling serves two purposes: 1).Advertising Scouting and

2). Boys in uniform are ever so slightly more aware that any "bad" behavior may be more noticed by the public.

Trevorum- did I get that post right? You tell lies to your boys to get them to travel in uniform? Interesting idea but I am not sure I like it...

anarchist

Yep, it is easy to lie (or maybe just bend the truth a little), that way you do not have to create troop rules! Or hold them back for not wearing a uniform which means they do not need have scout spirit!

From Accro40's post;

2. During transportation to and from planned Scout outings,

A) Meet for departure at a designated area.

B) Prearrange a schedule for periodic checkpoint stops as a group.

C) Plan a daily destination point. A common departure site and a daily destination point are a must. If you cannot provide two adults for each vehicle, the minimum required is one adult and two or more youth membersnever one on one.

Have a common meeting place, periodic check points as a group, daily destination point BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES CARAVAN!!! You may be interested to know that if you left from a common spot and meet at a common spot and have an accident with another vehicle in your group at that meeting place the BSA insurance can refuse to pay under the no caravaning clause. Happened to a local group on a winter campout when one driver rear ended another pulling into an icy parking lot. First car arrived ten minutes earlier. As the second vehicle pulled into the lot the boys in the first car began to exit the vehicle and when the second slid into the first a boy was hit by an open door and injured in a resulting fall. The insurace carrier claimed they were caravaning.

I always encourage traveling in uniform

LongHaul

(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

The Ship went caving over the weekend.

Everyone had a great time. I'm still a little sore!!

When we came out we were wet, extremely dirty, but smiling.

We didn't wear any sort of a Scout uniform, but it was strange when they changed out of their wet and dirty clothes most were wearing some sort of a scouting t-shirt.(No prompting from me.)

Both our Coxswain and Coxswains Mate seem to have a thing about Burger King, so we stopped (We always stop!!) We were munching away when the manager came and gave everyone an apple pie. He said that he had noticed the shirts.

Burger King Apple pies are not bad!!

Eamonn.

• 2 months later...