question about old uniforms

I was given som old uniforms for our Pack to use. The problem with the shirts is:

1. The Cub Scout shirts either have no collar and/or they say Cub Scouts of America on them instead of Boy Scouts of America.

2. The tan shirts do not have the shoulder strap on them.

Should we use them or just put them back. My dilema is this. Without the shirts, the three boys that need them won't have shirts. I am trying to find 'proper shirts for all the boys. But until then, it is my opinion that better in a Scout shirt than a T-shirt. I have 5 Scout shirts in my closet but none of them are the blue shirts that the younger boy need. What do you think?

I can't seem to find my historical uniform site right now. If they look like they are BSA & not something homemade they should be fine.

Even if the shirts are rather old & out of date, as long as they are from BSA, they are still "proper", & official uniform pieces.

Let the boys know they are wearing a bit of Cub Scout history in this, our 75th year.

I believe the "rule" is that uniforms can be worn until they are no longer serviceable...but worn in their entirety. Do not mix/match parts from different eras. If the only difference is the "Cub Scouts BSA" strip, I wouldn't sweat it.

I don't remember a tan shirt without epaulettes.

The Cub shirts may be from the early-mid 70's. At that time Boy Scout short sleeve shirts were collerless and said Scout BSA.

Tan Scout shirts w/o epaulettes were available from about 1973-1980. Epaulettes came in with de la Renta uniform in 1980

I see no problem having the boys wear these shirts. As ScoutNut said let the boys know that they are wearing Cub Scout history.

http://usscouts.org/history/uniformtimeline.html

They are still official uniform wear.

I'd give out the blue uniforms- the neckerchief will cover most of the difference.

I'd also give out the tan uniforms, but I think I'd ask for them back before the boys go to a troop. They won't stand out too bad in your pack, especially with a cool story behind them, but they might draw some attention in a troop.

I am happy to see that you are working your resources to get uniforms!

• 2 months later...

the rule used to be, at least when I was a boy, as long as the shirts and pants matched you could use them. This meant Old Style Shirt with Old Style Pants.

Did I miss a uniform? I had a green one with no collar or epaulets, but a tan one like that? I thought tan cam in to being with the current uniform.

"Tan Scout shirts w/o epaulettes were available from about 1973-1980. Epaulettes came in with de la Renta uniform in 1980 "

Uh, no.

I wore those uniforms as a scout. They are NOT Tan. They are 'green-khaki'. The color is not the same as the current tan uniforms (heck, they had to re-do the knots to match the new shade).

How about looking at the uniforms as "Vintage" or "Retro" instead of "Old"? I recently bid on two "vintage" overseas caps for Nephew. One came with 2 "vintage" red scarves and a "vintage" Den Chief Braid (with the pin on blue shoulder tab since it was meant for a shirt with no epaulette). He has been thrilled to show them to everybody and has added the word "vintage" to his daily vocabulary.

We have one boy in our Pack who has a complete "vintage" uniform, it was a yard sale find, the shirt is colorless and says Cub Scouts USA, the hat is the blue beanie style w/ the yellow piping and he has the blue pants with the yellow piping. His only pieces of modern uniforming are neckerchief and slide. He knows his is different but still "real" and that was the part that was important to him.

YiS

Michelle