Class A uniform vs Class B uniform

The sybols and names of the BSA are trademarked and like any trademark you need permission of the owners to use them. Normally if you are using the emblems for the unit use only, signs nesletters etc, you would not need persmission, but if you are making a uniform piece then tah is another mater. Only the BSA or ots licensed represenative the council can do that. You do not have the authority to make a BSA "uniform". If thhe shirt is for caual wera and it has only troop information then you can do what ever your CO approves. But if you are making a unifrm pieve it has to have one or more of the three elements and the use of the trademark emblems needs approval.

If your council does not care what you do that is their choice, but they can do what they want about it because they are the licensed representative of national.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read on National's web site, Scout units have permission to use the logos & words copyrighted by National as long as it is used according to policy. If not used according to policy, then approval from National is required. At least that's the impression I get from the web site.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

"Are there any other troops that only wear the class A? Do other leaders find this unusual?"

To answer your question directly, yes, our troop wears the regular uniform for meetings and the activity uniform for activities. I don't find it usual that at T-shirt is worn for meetings.

You can start changing your troop's practices by wearing the uniform yourself and encouraging other boys and adults to do so as well. Surely the troop SM and committee have not directed the boys to NOT wear the uniform, or have they? Surely there would be no objection to anyone choosing to wear the uniform?

my problem in answer your question Aaron is that you don't seem to be wearing any scout uniform at all. You just wear scout shirts.

Think of it like this if you wore a football jersey with jeans are you wearing a football uniform or just a jersey?

Wearing a scout shirt, and wearing a Scout Uniform, are not the same the same things.

So if your question is, do other troops dress like your troop?Unfortunatley yes, some do, but many others wear scout uniforms. One person willing to set a personal example of good uniforming could make a difference in the unit you serve.