number of merit badges on sash

Wear each ONE with pride. Each one has it's merits (pun intended). No one badge is more important than another. Whether one or fifty, each badge holds memories, experiences, and work that the scout earned the badge. Many times I'll ask eagle candidates which badge they liked the most and most times it is one of their first. It was what interested them. It was their first choice.

Up until the program change in the early 70's, the published guidelines were:

"...bottom of the sleeve, starting 3 inches above the edge, you may wear up to six merit badges. If you have more that six, sew them on a sash.."

"Scouts may wear up to six badges on the right sleeve of the long sleeved shirt, in rows of two, the bottom row parallel to the cuff and 3 inches from the end of the sleeve"

Many interpreted this to mean that you HAD to wear them on your sleeve - instead, it was an option, if you only had a few, and did not have a sash yet. Even then, you could wear just one merit badge on your sash if you wanted to. As other posters have indicated, this is true today.

Even when we could wear our MB's on our sleeves, it was considered to be an obsessive act that only the conflicted would attempt. We generally sewed them on a sash in spite of the option and because it showed initiative. Once I saw an older guy wearing five MB's on his sleeve and it looked pretty snazzy. By that time, I had more than five on my sash, probably six. I knew that reversing the process would be out of the question and would result in even more conflict, so I left them alone. Scouting even invented the half width sash to resolve the too few problem. It didn't fire anyone's imagination and they looked like a bad order of sashes from a foreign country that couldn't read the American Standard scale of measurement. When you have five MB's on your sash and someone else walks in the room wearing forty-five, usually you would quietly hang the sash over your belt, kind of like at half-mast "out of respect" but probably not very official. After the BSA had several misses, the problem was never resolved and they gave up. My offering to the answer would be to develop a plastic houtis to hold five MB's and wear them as a Temporary patch on the right pocket button, which would look a little like you were wearing a small pizza. FB