We have a very busy meeting schedule with business, opening, closing, Scout Masters moment,programs and presentations by older boys and guests; however, there never seems to be any time for patrol meetings. The meeting runs one and a half hours sometimes longer with reviews and MB classes but still essentially no patrol meetings. How do you work in yours? On another day? During the meeting? Before or after the meeting? Ideas.

Opportunities for patrol meetings can be created by setting aside one of your regular troop meeting nights just for patrol meetings at separate locations. A lot of troops try to have weekly meetings. It has been my observation and experience that it is often difficult to have really effective troop meetings every single week. In our troop we are now setting aside one of those meeting dates for patrols to meet. This does two things. It reduces the burden of putting together good programs for troop meetings, and it forces the patrols to try to get together and do what they do. This is not a result of laziness on the part of leadership at the troop level. The most effective troops I have known do this. We have supplemented this by assigning adults as "patrol mentors" to help out at that level.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Eisely. Once a month is something we are considering. The SM thought he would have the PLC mull it over and see if they had any suggestions. Can't have a great patrol if you hardly ever meet or camp as one. Working in patrols can also promote healthy competition amongst the youth. Who makes the best Dutch Oven dessert......... etc.

My husband and I are advisors for one patrol. We try to make sure they have a patrol meeting or outing once a month AWAY from the rest of the troop. This has really helped in making the patrol more cohesive. We have noticed a big difference in their teamwork on troop outings/meetings since we have pulled them together as a smaller group once a month or so.

kdhoogland, that's an interesting idea you've posed with your reference to patrols having adult advisors. It seems to be beyond what the Scouting program suggests, but still an interesting idea.

How big is your troop? How many patrols? Does each patrol have these advisors? Was recruiting adults easy? How do you refrain from making your position a Den Leader for a Boy Scout Patrol, that would seem to be something easy to fall victim to...? Where do the advisors fall in the hierarchy of the adult leadership? Troop Committee members? Are Assistant Scoutmasters used?

JMC--the adult Patrol Advisors are usually registered as an Asst. Scoutmaster or Committee member. Our troop has 52 scouts, with 8 patrols. The use of Patrol Advisors is prevalent in the troops in our District (as well as Council).

It is NOT like that of a Den Leader...we don't plan activities for the boys, we give guidance (something that is especially helpful with new scouts).

Each patrol does have at least one advisor. In the patrol my husband and I advise, the boys have been in the troop since Feb. of last year. We have been the ones providing things to the boys that they cannot: mainly transportation. The boys plan their activities, determining where they need to go (as far as the scouting program) and how they can best get there. The shoot around ideas as a patrol, and then they seek council from the SPL and other patrol leaders.

The advisor is definitely not like a den leader...the advisor is there as an adult support, not as a planner. (It is a much easier job than a den leader!! And I have been a den leader...still am...in Cub Scouts for over 6 years!)