Proper Patrol Emblems

I tell the boys they need to use the official bsa provided patrol patches. No one has ever challenged me on that.

They can call their patrol whatever they wish (within good taste) but they need to choose a bsa patrol patch that can be purchased at the local Scout shop.

When the "Leprichaun" patrol decided non of the bsa patches matched their patrol name, they changed their name to the "Invisible Leprichaun" patrol so they could use the blank patrol patch.

The "Man-eating Coatamundi Plant" patrol used the pine tree patrol patch. The "Road Kill" patrol wore the Racoon patrol patch upside down.

After surviving a severe storm while camping at Assateague Island in Maryland, one patrol decided to change their name to the "Assateague" patrol. They used the Lightning patrol patch.

Boys are pretty creative!

The BSA provides quite a selection of patrol patches to choose from, so boys shouldn't need to use military patches. I don't feel military patches belong on a bsa uniform.

YIS,

Cliff Golden

Scoutmaster Troop 33

DeKalb, Illinois

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The troop that I'm in has several differant "odd" patrol names, some being things that you could not necisarily substitute with the "official" BSA patrol patches. You can order custom patrol patches on the scoutstuff web site.

Right now, our troop has The Cow Tipper patrol, The Leprechaun Patrol, and a few others. There is absolutley nothing wrong with this, one should nurture a young persons imagination, it't not like these names are off color, they just happen to be creative.

"He who marches in files and ranks has already earned my comtempt, for he has been givin a large brain by mistake, since a spinal cord would suffice."

Gregory M.

Tomahawk Chapter Secretary

Tonkawa Lodge 99 W.W.W.