Roll collar vs. necktie

If any of you have tried to wear a necktie with the "roll-collar" on the current leader shirt, you know that it isn't easy.

I wish the shirt had a dress collar (i.e., with a seam and crease), but since it doesn't, here's my question:

Have any of you heard of a do-hickey or some form of collar-stay that one can use on a roll-collar while wearing a neck tie?

I was once told by an ex-Navy guy that the military sells such a thing, but I've never been able to find one, and have since forgotten its name.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Many, many, many years ago, when the military still issued shirts without stays in the collar, you used a nifty spring loaded device called a "Spiffy" to hold your collar straight. I had more than a few back then but I can't find a single one now. The Spiffy poked into the points of the collar and the crosspiece hid behind your tie.

Also years ago, I came across Spiffy-like devices except that there was no cross piece. There were two separate pieces, one for each side of your collar. A point jammed into the underside of the collar point and the upper end was T-shaped to fit into the fold.

I suppose that with the rise of shirts with internal stays and the decrease of men wanting to look nice, the Spiffy's days were numbered.

I once found a story on the internet that talked about the Spiffy but Google isn't turning that up anymore.

FOG said:

Many, many, many years ago, when the military still issued shirts without stays in the collar, you used a nifty spring loaded device called a "Spiffy" to hold your collar straight

THAT'S IT!! Thanx, FOG, I had totally forgotten what it was called. Now I know what to ask for.

Then BP said:

Is this what you're looking for ?

http://www.muldoons.com/sgarter.html

Could be -- I'll check it out. Does anyone here actually try to wear a tie with the leader shirt? I have several green BSA ties, but the collar won't hold its shape and it ends up looking sloppy.

Fred Goodwin

ACM, Pack 2003

Alamo Area Council

I heavily starch my shirt collar and like the look w/ one of the BSA green ties. I can tolerate the effect on the rolled collar. By the way my unit wears the neckerchief under the collar so I'm not forced to flatten it by turing it under.

Other ideas... the Muldoons invisible spring stay reminds me that "It's ll fun and games until someone loses an eye!" Just kidding, but how springy is it?

In the late 70's early 80's I wore a collar bar with dress shirt that had a very, small solid ball or cube on both ends. One end screwed off to reveal a sharp point that could be passed through the collar, behind the tie & out through the other side of the collar. (I had one that was very sharp, a second actually looked like an oversized safety pin and a third that had come with a shirt with a finshed hole in each wing (?) of the collar.)

Oh the possibilities!

I'm 46 years old & very proud of my association w/ Scouting, therefore I use any excuse to wear the uniform. Community days, holiday parades, even when just attending CO activities. If pushed I'll explain that Scouts are an important part of our community.

I too remember "spiffys" although I haven't seen or used one in decades. As near as I can tell, that is what is pictured on the link. It ought to work for you.

If I am not mistaken, sailors in the navy used to wear what they called "cheaters" which were neckties that you hung on your collar without passing it around your neck or tying it. Maybe you could convert you BSA green tie to a cheater.