How Does One Wear....

Maybe I ought to know this but I don't.

We have our Council Volunteer Recognition dinner next month. I will be the master of ceremonies. At dinner we will be awarding the Silver Beaver awards and some people have asked to have their Wood Badge Award Ceremony at the dinner.

I normally only wear my Silver Beaver to this dinner along with just my beads. This time I should wear the Gilwell neckerchief, woggle, beads and the Silver Beaver.

How do you wear that lot? Or would it be better to just add the Wood Badge regalia for the "Beading" and then remove it putting on the Beaver later?

Eamonn

It is not against the uniform regulations to do so and is a common sight at our dinners. The neckerchief is worn under an open collar or on top of a rolled in collar.

The thong of the beads goes under the neckerchief and the beads hang freely in front of the neckerchief (Some give the beads a twist before they pull the ends of the neckerchief through. This is incorrect, the beads should hang freely and not be twisted around the neckerchief).

The Siver Beaver ribbon goes on top of the kneckerchief. If you do not wear the neckerchief then the beads go under the open collar and the ribbon goes on top of the collar.

Hope this is as clear as mud.

Bob

I usually trust Bob White for the facts but with Fuzzy Bear disagreeing about the "twist" of the WB Beads which way is right? I was taught to twist them, really just a half turn of the bead thongs before tucking the neckerchief ends through, and everyone I know does it that way.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

Be careful assuming that the way you have often seen something, and the way you have always done something, is the same as the correct way.

There is a page in the Wood Badge syllabus (I don't know if it is in the latest one) thatt explains how and when to wear the recognition. It says the beads and thong "hangg freely in front without a twist" and if you look at Baden-Powell's picture or Bill Hillcourts, you will see that that is how they were it.

They say that confession is good for the soul.

I always used to let my beads hang in the correct way. But I had a bad habit of chewing on the ends when I got stuck in a long boring meeting. I also would spin them. So I started to add the twist. I knew that this was not the correct thing to do but did it anyway. I did however not twist them while serving on a Wood Badge staff.

I have got away from chewing on them but still tend to get on everyones nerves by spinning them when I get bored.

I also have the Saint George medal but I only wear that on Scout Sunday or when the Bishop is recognizing the Scouts who have been awarded a religious medal, which he does every year. Or when I attend the religious retreat, which I haven't attended for a number of years - Not sure why?

Some people that attend the dinner wear just about everything that they own. But that is just not my style.

Eamonn

• 2 months later...

FScouter

Dont know about any other service, put the following link (page 43) is the Navy Awards Manual:

http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/1650/four.pdf

These are the scouting links that describe the medal and/or it's association to the award knot which is brand new (Jan 2004):

http://www.usscouts.org/awards/DODMedal.html

http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-582.html

From the reading and the way the Relationships Division explained it, it is like the religious medals, where you would only wear the medal at an appropriate function, whatever that means. I have yet to ever where mine.

I was surprised when I received my Woodbadge regalia that it came with no "instructions" so to speak abut how and when to wear them. I would think a WB syllabus would be a good place to start but not the only place. Nothing in the insignia guide but I'm going from my diminished memory.

Thanks Herms. Please excuse the skepticism. If the award is discussed in an official BSA publication, or on a BSA web page (as you cited), it is certainly official. Too many times we hear about medals, awards, patches, and pins that someone claims are "authorized" to be worn on the uniform, but in fact have no authorization from BSA. The NRA shooting marksmanship medals are a good example.

As discussed in the Insignia Guide, "military" awards are not for the Scout uniform, but based on the discussion in your sources, I'd call this award more a chartered organization award than a military award. Wear it with pride!