A NEW Uniform

Why is there the assumption that the BSA does not already use these methods or similar ones to redesign and evaluate the uniform elements for the future. I know for a fact that the BSA recently engaged in a two year study with the military to test materials for zip off cargo pants. The tests failed by the way, and the idea was reject for the time being by both the BSA and the military. Proud Eagle raises good points by why in the world think that nobody is doing it already?

You just don't change the uniforming for millions of people overnight(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi OGE,

I too value your input. What is being overlooked here is that this is a huge organization, and the expectation that every volunteer should be communicated with about everything being considered by the national council, in every committee or division, is simply not feasible. I am willing to bet that most posters, unless they are executives, are not kept abreast with everything being done, considered, or tested by company they work for. Their job is to do their job.

I'm sure that like me you are active in your church. But do you know what is happening in every committee, and every change being considered by your pastor let alone by the executive branch of the church in the future? I'm not. I do not feel I need to be.

There are several hundred if not thousands of volunteers involved on a daily basis on national committees that shape scouting. Just because a volunteer you know is not on one of those committees doesn't mean the committees don't exist. We don't need to know everything going on at national, that's not our job.

Whether the uniform changes next week or next year does not alter the quality of the troop or pack meeting, or our responsibility to deliver the program. That's our task, not picking pant material. Do you see what I'm saying.

Sure we can all have input. That's not my point. You say,"I believe you when you say national seeks input on such topics as these, but I have never heard of any such opportunity. That's my point.

If you have suggestions for the national program all you have to do is call your scout office and ask for the phone number of the national office. They have some very friendly receptionists. You simply tell them the topic you are interested in and ask for the name of the person you need to contact. Address a letter to their attention and share your ideas.

But don't expect them to ask 6 million people for input on everything they are working on. That is simply not a reasonable way to manage a project.

The thought that anyone at nation is purposely trying to screw things up is unfounded and incorrect.

I do not fault Proud Eagle for his methodology and I hope he follows through on his plan and shares his results with the national office. But don't assume nothing is being done just because you haven't heard about it yet.

And please do not judge everyone else based on the problems of your local committees to do a task. I have seen volunteers screw up a pack meeting for 12 cubs, and national council put on a great jamboree for 50,000 people. So you will not convince me that they are clueless.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I may have a somewhat warped take on this topic. Back in the day the scout uniforms and the military uniforms were ereily identical. You couldn't tell if it were a scout campaign at or a military campaign hat because there was no diference what so ever. This was done, so I have been told, because surplus uniforms could be had anywhere for cheap, were extremely durable, and could be used in many situations. Not that the BDU is perfect, but if they went back to the original idea they could make something that could be used in many diferent situations, so here are my ideas.

1) Cotton is not an issue unless the temperature is low. Now I don't expect the newer nylon shirts to fair any better than a higher percentage cotton shirt if it gets wet. So, have ONE heavy cotton shirt. Like the BDU, but with some more shirt like qualities so it isn't like wearing a jacket. Basically a heavy cotton or blended wool even shirt in long sleevs, pretty much like what we have only mabey made with recycled fiber to get the cost down. Now the "cotton kills" argument comes into play. Cotton doesn't kill any more than nylon saves (campfire accidents?). It's all about preperations. You won't die if you wear a cotton shirt, as long as you are smart enough to cope with it if you get soaked and it gets cold.

2) Heavy cotton trousers, with some thought given to pockets. OD green, just like now, only one style.

3) mabey make the long uniforms all wool blended. After all, if you need a long sleeved shirt don't you obviously need warmth? Why not recycled wool. Make the short uniforms cotton. After all if you are wearing shorts, do you expect them to keep you warm in a blizzard? Basically, make two uniforms in appropriate materials and call it good.

4) find alternate sources for the campaign hats. Why not? Scout uniforms aren't exactly "cool" by most standards. Instead of coming up with a "super groovy ultra hip" baseball cap every few years why not just stick with one of the most identifiable and useful boyscout head coverings ever devised? I have a 100% made in USA campaigner that only cost $30. Yes, probably twice what a BSA ball cap costs, but much, much less than the official campaign hat for the eact same look. There is just no excues!

Make functional neckerchiefs mandatory again. I have one 36X36 square that is heavy enough to act as a scarf in the winter or it can be worn loose in the summer with no ill effects. Plus, have you ever tried to use the new trianglar travesties for slings? have you ever had the courage to use one as a washcloth? a yard of cloth at wal-mart is less than two bucks.

Mabey it's just me but I don't see a kid in green pants, akwardly wearing a khaki shirt all buttoned to the chin with no neckware, and a baseball cap that aside from having a FDL in it somewhere looks like 99% of them on earth is all too scoutly. Now take this same guy, or even somebody wearing kahkis and a t-shirt, and give him a campaign hat and neckerchief and he instantly becomes identifiable as a boyscout. And, if they didn't offer so many hats and the like they could get less expensive campaign hats too. A uniform uniform, now don't that beat all?

The hi tech fabric idea is great but they aren't absolutely necisairy. Wool and cotton are cheaper and can be just as functional under probably 99% of the camping most scouts do. Plus, when you establish a precident there isn't the temptation to "improve" the heck out of it in later years, making things les suniform, more expensive, and more niche oriented and less useful in the broad scope of things.

Offer an inexpensive, not flamable, quiet, and durable outwear option. Mabey like a BDU jacket? Possibly some other kind of single layered durable shell. Mabey like they had long ago? Or find a way to get the cost down on the jac-shirt. I hear woolrich is going off shore anyways and if that happens hopefully BSA will drop them. I heard somewhere the BSA won't buy foreign made merchandise. Get some no-name company to make them from recycled wool fiber and you could get them down to $30 probably.

Like I said, I'm probably going against the grain with some of my ideas. Not that any of them will probably ever come to fruition.

Mabey I'm a Don Quixote in scouting, but I like it that way.