Its 12:30 a.m. and I just let the dog out. I didn;t have my glasses on when I read the opening subject. When you first stated talking about wearing camo, I thought at first you were talking about face paint. Well, now that I thik about it, if your going to wear camo paint, then you might as well paint your face, and throw the camo nets over your tents.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! After three years, the crypt keeper lets this one out to roam the threads again...

Fgoodwin, I gave the Mike Walton link in the 6th message of this thread way back when. If the reader merely takes him or herself back to that point and starts the remainder of the thread from where I gave the same link, he or she could do this endless loop for the rest of their life.;)

I agree with HopsScout regarding how close the hunting styles must be. But LongHaul has a point about color perception. The ability of a deer to resolve the human form might also depend on pattern. In that case a solid color would always be more visible than a patterned color, even if the colors and patterns are perceived in grays.

However, in the animal kingdom, color perception versus non-color is not as simple as our popular conception makes it. Some animals are able to 'see' certain limited colors while all others seem to be perceived as grays. The problem for researchers is that we don't have the ability to directly know how an animal perceives anything. Only their reactions to various stimuli from which we infer their perceptions. There is still plenty of work to be done in order to answer many of these questions.

Back to the endless do loop.....

OK....

If a youth, Scouter, or units chooses to wear garments with a camouflage pattern commercially available (read Cabela's or Bass Pro) whilst out for an autumn or winter camp, I don't think anyones going to raise an eye. BSA hasn't had cold/wet or cold/dry outdoor apparel for years. The wool coat is the best thing in the inventory, and it only works as an element of a layering system.

If, however, you or your youth choose to wear:

- The current version of the USMC camouflage combat uniform.

- The (now only made for USAF) Battle Dress Uniform.

- The Army Combat Uniform

AND you're not

- a veteran or a retiree of the Armed Forces...

- performing a legitimate historic re-enactment

I respectfully submit you or your Scouts are conciously committing disrespect upon those who served or are serving.

My 27 years of service to this Nation included the PRIVILEGE of wearing the uniforms of the US Army. We're Scouts and Scouters here. While the BSA field uniform is of fabric, fit and finish for Parlor Scouts, it is ok at troop meetings. In the field, by season, appropriate cold/hot and wet/dry clothing combinations are best suited for each camp, hike, or service activity. A Scout is Courteous. Please honor those who served.

Thank you.

Thank you for your service John.

I am going to, however, respectfully disagree with you. The Woodland BDU, I feel is a not an item I would consider that, by wearing, would discredit or disrespect a Veteran. You have the experience as the Veteran and I do not therefore I am going to respect your opinion although I will disagree. I would, however, agree with your idea if one were to were a camouflage uniform item with rank, unit, or other type of identification on it. That, I feel, would be disrespectful.

The Woodland BDU I feel is more of a commercial item than, say the MARPAT or ACU, and also is a more universal pattern used by many and not just the US Military. By stating that the Woodland BDU is only for the US Military and others wearing it would be disrespectful would be like saying that my Olive Drab BDU's would also be disrespectful for me to wear because somewhere out there, there is a police or sheriff's department that wears that uniform.

Until I read this thread, I had no idea about the camo issue. It's a good thing the boys in my Webelos den were wearing their uniform shirts and not wearing camo pants when we got "stopped" by the police while on a hike. Apparently complaints had come in about juvenile delinquents causing trouble along this trail the day before, so the police were keeping watch. We were nervous at first as the policeman approached us with a serious look on his face, but when he got closer, he broke out into a smile, and said, "Oh, you guys are scouts!" He explained about the recent problems, and then chatted with us about the scout program. He then let the boys sit in his police car and try out the siren. Our scout uniforms saved us from a potentially difficult situation!

Ranger Joes, the US Cavalry Store, lots of places sell battle dress. Some of them are to US DoD spec, others are rejects off the line.

We wore woodland camouflage for almost 25 years. That a lot of time for it to be accepted as a universal article.

Mind you, as my generation went to college (and very few of us found our way to the Armed Forces), Vietnam jungle fatigues were the surplus item of the day. My Dad, a veteran of Japanese PW camps in the Phillipines, the Hell Ships, and the Home Islands, out and out forbade me their wear.

It's one of my quirks, especially when I feel the BDU clothing PATTERN, albeit in commercial Khaki color (several police and prison force use this for their uniforms) is in-bounds for tough, abusable, field gear.

US Army Natick Labs developed the woodland camouflage scheme, as they did the new ACU scheme, the "chocolate chip cookie" desert BDU scheme, and the current desert BDU scheme.

Enough of this :) I gotta tell my District FOS Chairman that the District Eagle BOR Guest Coordinator and I cut a deal: The FOS guy will be my sons' Eagle guest... bwoooohahahahaha.... I knew doing FOS pitches paid off somehow ;)