I love neckerchiefs!

Finally - a question I feel somewhat qualified to respond to!

The "slip knot" that I was taught was tied at the very tip of the of the neckerchief to tie the two dangling tips together. We were told it was to remind us to do a good turn. I believe I've read that originally (circa 1920's) once you've done the good turn, you can untie it.

The knot itself is just an overhand knot in one end that's tied around the dangling tip. (geez - can it be any harder to explain in writing something so simple?).

The problem I've come across with trying to duplicate this is that it makes the tips slightly uneven. But it may not be noticeable to anybody but the detail obsessed wearer (a.k.a. me).

I would think a larger version of this slip/overhand knot tied farther up under the neck would work when no slide is available. The problem with tying a square knot is that the tips would stick out sideways - but depending on the size of the GS neckerchief, this may not be a problem.

Cheers,

--Gags

Yes, in my very old handbooks (circa 1920 or so) their neckerchiefs have a kind of Navy flair - ends flying out to the sides a bit. I can see how the slipknot idea would work nicely to keep the ends hanging straight down.

Sidenote on the reminder to do a Good Turn - we Girl Scouts have a tradition that upon receiving the membership pin, it is pinned on upside-down and worn that way until the girl has done her first good turn :) Back in the twenties, the membership pin was pinned onto the square knot of the neckerchief.

Does anyone know of a supplier of full square neckerchiefs? Yes, we can buy favric and make them ourselves, but one advantage of a supplier is that (hopefully) they would continue to have the same fabric in stock along with any artwork for embroidery or screening...

Peace out,

Anne in Mpls

I'm not sure what the rules are in Girl Scouts, but in Boy Scouts the neckerchief is a controled uniform piece. You should checked the uniforming regulations in the Insignia Guide before customizing one for a boy scout uniform.

BW

There is a god size portion of a page dedicated to the neckerchief in the Insignia Guide 2003-2005. Rather that take up space here it would be best for those looking to customoze neckerchiefs to go to thhe source and familiarize themselves with the BSA requirements. for instance, you are limited to the text that is displayed on the neckerchief.

Bob White

I have found that there is some ambigous middle ground between folding and rolling. What looks best to me personally can be described as a light fold or a loose roll. I usually fold the neckerchief about three times but don't crease the edges like a fold generally implies. I find the neckerchief then takes on the classic Norman Rockwell look that I prefer. I then tie the neckerchief rather than use a slide. I don't consider rolled neckerchiefs tacky, however, and am glad that there are different options and techniques for neckerchief wear. I usually wear the neckerchief under the collar unless it's large enough to be worn over (to my comfort). Admittedly, I don't turn the collar under, but the neckerchief has to be large enough to envelope it so no one sees anyhow.

I realize that wearing the neckerchief under the collar rules out it's role as sweat barrier. I find it more effective as a scarf to keep the collar warm anyhow. That's why tend to wear it more in cool weather. It also makes uniforming more visible when participants are wearing coats.

The rule says that the custom neckerchief must be the same size. Other than wearing them makes my neck hot, with my fairly large neck size and my generally large size, a neckerchief looks out of place because ends are so short on me. I would like them to be like the OA sash, have them in two sizes.

You should see me in a necktie, when I wear one, I tie the thin back piece so it is really short.

"with my fairly large neck size and my generally large size, a neckerchief looks out of place because ends are so short on me"

I have the same problem. When I was going to Scoutmaster School, my patrol consisted of four large men and four very petite women. We made two sizes of neckerchiefs. It may not be regulation but it looked good and the chief of the Uniform Police is my wife's sister's brother's cousin's father-in-law so I have nothing to fear there.

I've convinced my troop to order larger neckerchiefs for the adults. Again, not regulation but who cares? Which is worse, a non-regulation neckerchief or orange sweat pants with a uniform shirt?

That's why I like the neckerchiefs given out at WB so much (the "plaid" ones with the embroidered "Troop 1" on the back - maybe it's just an NCAC thing.) They're a bigger size than the troop ones you buy at the scout shop, and actually hang lower for adults. I'm trying to convince my guys to start wearing the neckerchief consistently(when they don't "lose" them). I showed them the difference in sizes, and they all liked mine.

If the custom neckerchief must be the same size, can you clarify NW what size you're referring to? Do they all have to be same size as the current "official" neckerchief (aka the worlds worst arm sling if you're over 90 pounds), or do the ones you order just have to be uniformly all of the same size?

Thanks,

--Gags

"If the custom neckerchief must be the same size, can you clarify NW what size you're referring to?"

The insignia guide says that they must be the same size as the official neckerchief. However, one could argue that it doesn't specify which official neckerchief so . . . . you could make it the same size as the old humongous square neckerchiefs.

I can see why BSA says to make them the same size as official neckerchiefs, if they didn't we'd have some troop somewhere looking like they were wearing zoot suits.