When did the AOL move?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Funny how the uniform is one of the eight methods of Scouting but nowhere is having a uniform a requirement to be a member of the BSA! Funny!"

If you thought that was funny then you'll think this is histerical. None of the methods of scouting are required for membership. They are tools for achieving the aims and mission of scouting, not requirements for joining or belonging.

FatOldGuy asks:

Is that from the time that old timers call "when they tried to take the 'Boy' out of BoyScouts"?

Some might. That is the time period I am referring to, anyway. I mentioned that in my first post on this subject (the really long one), about how the word "Boy" was missing. I have heard various people speculate as to why that was, but it is probably just a "trivia question" at this point. I think that more "old timers" refer to that time (starting 1972 I believe) as when the BSA tried to "take the 'outing' out of Scouting," pointing to such evidence as Camping and Cooking being de-listed as Eagle-required merit badges, and massive changes in the lower-rank requirements as well as the material in the handbook. (I know that a lot of this was reversed starting at the end of the 70s, including putting Camping back on the required list, but not Cooking.) There were many other changes as well, including almost all aspects of the uniform and insignia.

FOG

It took me some time to find the original link I used. Please not that in the description it attributes the information to boyhe Bill Nelson and Mike Walton.

To find this i did an advanced Google search of "with all the words "Mike Walton"" and "Woth the exact phrase "rec scouting usa""

The second link yielded was

[rec.scouting.*] Newsgroups Help and Frequently Asked Questions ( ...

... From: Bill Nelson and Mike Walton (blackeagle@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net) Date: 5 May ... If

you only want USA respondents, post it to rec.scouting.usa; if you only ...

www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/scouting/newsgroups.html - 18k - Sep 21, 2003 - Cached - Similar pages

So I guess it is your turn now. Where did I say previous Boy Scout Handbooks were evil and dangerous?

Bob White

dan,

You are a card!

I remember that! I refered to the prior edition of the BS handbook because I didn't have the current edition handy! I can't remember when it was or what the topic, though!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I received an e-mail from Mike Walton. What he said about a Cub pack wearing the tan shirt was based on what he remembers of a memo circulated from the Cub Division around 1994 to council executives. Because his paperwork is packed in preparation for a move, he has no way to verify the memo.

I checked with my council professionals and no one remembers any such memo, or Knows of such an option, or can find a BSA resource offering such an option. but then again it has been nine years.

Since there have been numerous uniform publications since that time and NONE suggest such a uniform option, it is likely that Mike misundertood the memo.

Bob White