This may not belong in "Uniforms" but the last couple flag threads were here nad there's no "Scout Shop" section.

Has anyone ever noticed that most flags sold in this country are illegal. If not illegal, they are out of spec and this includes the flags sold at the Scout Shop.

By Executive Order, the standard fly to hoist ratio for the American Flag is 1.9:1. That means that a flag with a 3' hoist should have a 5.7' fly. Other proportions are authorized for special circumstances but 3'x5' isn't one of them. For those who don't know, "hoist" is the dimension of the flag parallel to the flagpole and fly is the dimension of the flag that is perpendicular to the flagpole.

There aren't any penalities for having an incorrectly sized flag but it would be nice if the Scout Shop sold proper flags.

It is amusing, to say the least, that the flags "flown over the capitol" that you can buy aren't proper sizes either. However, Executive Orders don't apply to the Congress.

• 1 month later...

Interesting post, very precisely directed, minutae detail, realistically (economically) irrelevant.

You have also expressed your problems with the one of the most basic of flag etiquites on this site. Which direction the field of the Flag should be in when worn on opposite sleeves of a Uniform! The Armed Forces (Yes, the Army too) seem to have resolved the issue. The blue field leads!

Otherwise, have a nice day!

Roy

"Which direction the field of the Flag should be in when worn on opposite sleeves of a Uniform! The Armed Forces (Yes, the Army too) seem to have resolved the issue. The blue field leads! "

Why? If you consider the flag patch as a flag, the flag code requires the canton to be to the viewers left. Get over it or go join the Army.

I'm tired of seeing these kinds of threads...

so I'll put it this way....

If the flag is made in the USA, it will be legal unless homemade. The flag code states that it is up to the discrection of the organization to decide which sleeve the flag is on and which side the blue field is on.

Hey Kwc57! No kidding. I was involved in most of those discussions and I've done a fair amount of research into the question.

Ever heard the saying, "there's the right way, the wrong way and the Army way"? Well the Army does it the Army way and we do it the right way.

When it comes to flag patches on uniforms, there is NO "right" or "wrong" way. If there is, please reference me to it in the US Flag Code... you wont be able to because I read through the Flag Code just before I typed this.

""If the flag is made in the USA, it will be legal unless homemade."

That's a new one. Where did you get that?"

Well, lets think about this, if it is made in the USA, for the USA, what would be the point of making the flag illegal?

"While I follow & support the Flag Code lets remember it's just a code. Not a law."

Sorry, it is a law.

The whole collection of US laws is refered to in the collective as the US Code. The Flag Code is Title 4 of the US Code

code noun

1. A systematically arranged and comprehensive collection of laws.

2. A systematic collection of regulations and rules of procedure or conduct: a traffic code.

Hmmm..., well, as the preponderance of flags sold and flown in this country likely do not 'meet code' exactly, they are still rectangular and fairly close. I probably won't really worry about this until I see square or round flags being flown...