BSAs next uniform

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hops,

I guess the question is when should the uniform be worn? Is it just for dress and never intended for outdoor activity? Why not cover both bases? I've heard many scouters say that their summer (class B) uniform is their scout shorts, socks and a troop t-shirt. By the way, many will tell you that there is no such thing as a class A or class B uniform. The uniform is the only uniform. You are either wearing it or not wearing it. Should scouts be wearing street clothes camping out or some sort of uniform? Not all camping is done at a scout owned facility. Shouldn't people camping alongside scouts in a state park, national park, etc. be able to tell you are a scout troop as opposed to a bunch of teenage boys on vacation? Most troops require wearing the uniform while traveling to a campsite. Why not expect the same in the campsite? That is why I suggested a heavier duty all purpose winter/summer adjustable uniform that can meet many requirements from dress to travel to field. When my son played baseball, we had two basic uniforms and parts from each could be used together to make a third uniform. Everyone was informed what the uniform for a game would be and was expected to be dressed properly. If you showed up dressed wrong or without a belt or hat, chances are you would be riding the pine the whole game. This was grade school kids. Couldn't we expect the same degree of discipline from our teen age scouts? By the way, baseball uniforms can cost a lot more than a scout uniform.

• 2 weeks later...

I make no claim that the way we do it is right...

What is considered class A uniforms are required at anything that is considered a meeting. Troop meetings, Courts of Honor, Scoutmaster Conferences, Boards of Review. We consider class A to be every part of the uniform except the hat. MB sashes are not required at troop meetings. During the summer, we permit the SPL to declare Troop meetings only to be class B: any scout related shirt (most often our Troop tee or polo, or a summer camp tee). No BSA pants etc. are required. Full class A's are still required for Scoutmaster conferences, etc.

We also require full class A's (minus the sash) for travelling to and from activities. As soon as a scout has his tent erected, he may change into any appropriate clothing. If we are hiking, full uniform to the trailhead, then hung and left in the car until the ride home.

We also require BSA shirts only for dinner at campouts.

The only exception we make is for boys coming from other activities and arriving during the meeting. Usually these are sports, and it seems silly to us to ask a dirty boy to change into a clean uniform. We'd rather have him there than going home becuase he isn't dressed right.

Mark