Campaign Hat Bands

I purchased a new hat band for my campaign hat a while back. I noticed that is was a little flimsy and cheap looking. A fellow scouter showed me his new band and it was much thicker and better made. We bought them about the same time but I feel slighted. Both were bought at the same Council store at the same price. NDC claims that they switched vendors for some unknown reason. Mine doesn't say Made In USA but I'd bet it's not. Does anyone know where I can get the better hat band?

I looked at the new hat bands and I was very disappointed. What did I do? I searched ebay for a while looking for a good hat band but didn't find any. Finally I made my own hat band. Actually, I've made four or five so I can change them on a regular basis.

Two were made from women's belts that I got on sale. Find a belt that you like, cut it to the right length (about 2" overlap) and glue it or sew it together.

I've also made a few out of paracord. I like the look of the hat cords with "acorns" so I made one out of OD paracord. I tied the acorns myself with knot that I invented on the spot (I'm sure that it has a name). Then I wrapped the cord around the hat three times and tied each end around the bundle with an overhand know (Like a fisherman's knot). You can tighten or loosen the cord by adjust the position of the overhand knots. You will have to experiment to get the acorns to not dangle over the edge of the brim.

Each cord hatband uses about 10 feet of paracord. The first one took me about an hour to figure out how I wanted to do it. The subsequent ones took about 15 minutes.

Cord hatbands that I've made inclued OD, bright blue, gold, and purple.

• 2 years later...