Red Vests?

I'd like to know what everyone's opinions are on the red "brag" vests that Scouts tend to wear a lot in the Cub Scouts and some in the Boy Scouts. Also, what does BSA regs say about the wearing of those vests. Personally, I think they detract from the uniform (especially the Boy Scouts) and make things look much less sharp than without it. Also, as an avid patch collector, I hate to see patches sewn on something and worn around so they are worn out and soiled (I've always kept mine in three ring binders). This isn't one of those barn burner issues, but I would like some opinions on it.

I think the vest looks cheap, but what's a kid supposed to do? Boys want to wear their patches so they can be seen. The Insignia guide says "Members should make every effort ot keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered. Previously earned badges and insignia - not representaing present status - make a fine display on a BSA red patch vest, a trophy hide or blanket, exhibited in the home of the recipient, or at functions where such a display is invited."

I never saw a kid that had a 3-ring binder, but of course that is the best way to go for long term preservation. The Scout catalog has a display case available that is a piece of uniform cloth with a shirt pocket. The patches are attached to the cloth and the whole thing is enclosed in a glass covered oak frame. It looks real cool, but for $82 though there's got to be a better way.

• 1 month later...

I had one of those red vest as a cub and then also had a red nylon jacket in scouts. Going to and from scout events the vest or jacket can be worn. I believe that patches were made to be sewn on, if they were meant to be preserved in a three ring binder they would be stikers or certificates. My son recently earned his first 3 patchs. He was thrilled to see that I had sewn them onto my old vest (after I took all of mine off). He wore it for several days around the house and to the stores, I guess that is why they call it a brag vest. I don't think it takes away from the uniform, it just needs to be worn at the proper times.

I've never seen any problem with them. Usually in our pack the parents save the vests. If their Scout attains Eagle rank, they transfer all of the cub patches onto a blanket. It's a neat idea, I think. Gives something to Cub Scouts to be proud of.

I never had a problem with the vests. I would rather give people a legitimate uniform part to put the patches on than see people get creative with their shirts and pants. It also gives the new cubs and new scouts something to look up to.