I'm trying to help my boys with their Safety Merit Badge, but I'm stuck on requirement 5. I'm not 100% sure what it's asking. Possible hazards or possible situations? Hazards could be like church - candles, theater - rip carpet, picnic - fire ants, beach - hot sun, traveling - bad tires. Situation could be church/theater - earthquake/fire, picnic/beach - assault/seeing someone in trouble. Traveling - car accident. If any one understands it and has ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Hmm, when your sons read the requirements... what do they think it means? Let them come up with something on their own.... they might have a totally different perspective than when seen thru adult eyes. The only directive to stress is "no more, no less".

It does want:

1 - "Each plan should include an analysis of possible hazards,

2 - proposed action to correct hazards, and

3 - reasons for the correction you propose in each plan"

Whoever the Safety MB counselor they are using will help them flush it out a bit or ask more questions to get the ball rolling... that's the whole idea behind every Merit Badge, Learning about something new, and Adult Association.

#5 - Make an accident prevention plan for five family activities outside the home (at your place of worship , at a theater, on a picnic, at the beach, and while traveling , for example). Each plan should include an analysis of possible hazards, proposed action to correct hazards, and reasons for the correction you propose in each plan.

Well my question was actually their question. This is also the last pre-requirement for this badge for summer camp next week. So there is no current councilor available to them. That's why I decide to post the question here. I hadn't even been on this site in a few years till today.

If your (sons) ask the Troop advancement chair, he/she should have the list of approved Safety Counselors for your district. That would be a better choice than asking advice from the 'net.

Maybe someone from your own Troop is a Safety Merit Badge Counselor.

Or, contact the Camp Director, ask who is going to be the Safety Merit Badge counselor (officially or of record) and get their contact info. It likely is already someone from the district list.

In fact, if a badge is started before camp with someone local that your sons start working with and earn portions of the badge, then they can earn the rest at camp.

Most times, even if a Merit Badge has a per-requirement that is not completed before camp, it will not bar your sons from working on it at camp.

Likely it's better done before camp so the Scouts come up with their own scenarios anyway.

Thank you dg98adams. This was helpful. Our troop's counselor is not currently availiable, we live in a rural area to meet w/ other district counselors. But I hadn't even thought about contacting the summer counselor and asking them. So I guess this did work out for us. Thanks to everyone for your input.