Just returned from ECOH. 3 Eagles held a joint ceremony. One earned the rank 2 yrs ago and just never had a ceremony. One earned the rank several months ago and the third completed the requirements within the last month. All have turned out to be nice young men.

One of the Eagles was in my cub scout den for 4 years. He is the first of the scouts in my den to earn the rank of Eagle. The two others still in scouting are both Life scouts. One only lacks his project and the other lacks 4 MBs and a project. Both are 15 so still have plenty of time.

He awarded me the mentor pin this afternoon, my first. Neat to have been around this young man for 8-9 years and see him grow and mature. His younger brother joined our troop about a year ago.

I really love the mentor pin thing its really a very special moment and a great time to thank the person that helped you get where you are today.

I presented mine to a lady who has since passed away but was so powerful in our council (even though she was only a COR) that she was called the godmother of scouting in our area. She was good enough that if she said jump every boy and every adult including Council Executive said how high. Everybody loved her. Great lady and there was no such thing as a gray area with her....it was right or it was wrong. She had ever awarded imaginable in scouting but when I gave that to her she started crying.

With everything shes done all the awards she had received and the many many many boys she helped mine was the very first mentor pin she had ever received. Between then and the time she passed I think she received 1 more.

I will never forget that.

I have also received a mentor pin for helping boys through eagle and I cherish that pin more than anything else on my uniform.

I wear both of mine on the pocket flap of my red jac-shirt. When I get all dressed up for a formal occasion, I transfer them over to the pocket flap of my uniform. I'm probably going to hell for that, but I don't care.

Stosh

My Wood badge beads, my knots, my Camp School patch, my award belt buckles and my medals, are just so much junk next to my Eagle Mentor pins. I wear them on my collar points. I only have four uniform shirts; I need to think up another spot. What I usually see is them lined up right above somebody's left uniform shirt pocket.

Every one round here wears them over their left uniform pocket.

A lot of people sleeves are for saying what you do and where you come from (Patrol council troop ect. position).

And then the front of the uniform is for telling people who you are and what youve accomplished (Knots pins name tags, Recent event patches, OA ect.).

I know some of its not regulation but thats how we do it up here and we like it. They are still wearing the same uniforms as everyone else.

Have the Eagle kits always come with a mentor pin? Earned mine in 2001, and I don't remember anything about a mentor pin, but now it's a really big deal. Definitely a cool development, as far as I'm concerned.

Bando, the Mentor Pins are a new thing as of the last 5 or 6 years or so, I believe. First time I saw them was at a 2006 ECOH. You can also buy them separately. I had a case where one Eagle gave me a mentor pin 5 years after his COH. (No "rule" against that, apparently!) I'll always remember that.

-Frank