Subtracting vs Adding

Yes I think some parents see "I paid $25 for the MB class at the science museum. I expect it *completed* when I pick him up.

I see some "subtraction" at the MB classes.

I see TOO MUCH use of the meritbadge.org worksheets. Boys think they look stuff up, fill them out, and they get the MB.

I really liked the comment "Work with the boy, not the badge". I cut and pasted that one.

I agree about summer camp and some parents. Had one boy whose dad insisted he take 6 and was crying because he did not finish one and his dad would be mad. At Summer Camp one of my roles was the fun police. Trying to make sure that the adults let the boys just wander and do something (as long as they told us where they were going)

I try to teach some MB classes the old fashioned way--working with one or two boys at a time, discussing what they are going to do or have learned, giving advice or smoothing the way for them with contacts. I get very few takers. (that said the ones I do get make it very worthwhile)

Tampa Turtle wrote: "I see TOO MUCH use of the meritbadge.org worksheets. Boys think they look stuff up, fill them out, and they get the MB."

Absolutely. Those worksheets are okay for notes or organization, but when it says discuss I insist on discuss. It's about the interaction of two people. I don't really care if the scout wrote anything down as most requirements are not "write an essay". I always feel bad for the scout who fills the worksheets in detail. Good for him as it's impressive, but it usually isn't required. Instead, he needs to jump thru a different hoop such as discuss or explain.