Merit Badge University ... or Day ... or Whatever

Bacchus,

It is apparent that I did a poor job of explaining. I thought I had made clear, but obviously didn't, that there are reasons for assigning a scout to a MB counsellor that is teaching a MB at a MB University, and reasons for assigning a scout to a MB counsellor in a traditional setting.

You give valid reasons for sending a scout to MB university. I'll give you a "what if" question in return: say that at your council's MB university they offer citizenship in the world and First Aid (as examples). In previous years, scouts have returned with signed blue cards from a weekend. Your troop has two parents serving as MB counsellors, one of which is a civics teacher, the other a paramedic. Both know their material well, and are good at relating to boys. Both hold to the standard of no more, no less. It typically takes a scout several meetings with each of them over the course of a month to complete the badge. They learn a lot.

With that "what if", if a scout came to you wanting to take these two badges in a weekend at MB university, would you approve? Why or why not?

cheers,(This message has been edited by venividi)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard to do Lifesaving MB with only one Scout. It's nice to have at least two to take turns being the victim and the rescuer. I have found that the ideal group size is eight, two "patrols" of four. I suppose that makes it become a "class," My bad.

Bacchus,

with regards to blue cards in the scenario I described above, I meant the scout returned with a blue card signed by the counsellor. The scout would have attended the event with a blue card empty except for the title of the MB and the SM's signature.

I appologize for not being clear.

In any event, I think you get my point - that there are advantages and disadvantages of each, and that is the SM's responsibility to direct scouts to the venue that he/she thinks is in best keeping with the aims of scouting.

Individual SM's have their own reasons for directing a scout one direction or another. A couple of possible reasons:

A SM believe that the MB process is important in developing character, and when possible, direct the scout to a counselor where the scout has to follow the process of contacting the adult and setting an appointment, and want the benefits of small group setting and establishing a relationship with a caring adult.

Another SM may see that exposure/taste of a topic is in best keeping with the aims, and/or completion of the MB as more important than the path to get there.

Many will choose a mix, so that a scout experiences contacting a counsellor, and also gets some through the more efficient process of MB classes at University.

Perhaps some are devoting their hour a week on working to improve troop program/instructing jr leaders, etc, as a higher priority, and analyzing the troop's MB program isn't one of the top priorities, so doesnt get attention.

As others have said, all scouting is local. MB Universities are offered because there is demand for them. Individual units are entrusted with the responsibility of choosing if/when the universities help them achieve the aims of scouting for the boys in their troop.

Just finished off a 560 scout Merit Badge University today. About 400 BS, 160 Webelos. The event was a smash. Instructors were all adults average age was 40 years old, average years teaching thier badge was close to 10 years (except for newer badges). Far superior to any summer camp around my parts.

Instructors were informed to turn away any Scout that had not completed their pre-reqs. Most followed the request. Sessions were an hour and a half or three hours. Care was taken to insure that the badges selected for the event were ones that could be completed in the given timeframe with judicious use of pre-reqs. It was amzing to hear some of the interaction going on in these classrooms.

The interaction that goes on in a properly run, limited class size (ours was 15 to a class) MBU setting just can't occur in a traditional setting. Our Law MBC ran a mock trial - judge, jury, defense,etc. You can't do that 1:1 or 1:2. The chemistry instructor took advantage a fume hood in the college's lab to demonstrate how it works, again not something most houses have in them.

MBUs have their place, but not for all badges.