Scoutmaster Approval of MB

> Ifg the SM has an issue with a given MBC he may suggest the scout work woth someone else but otherwise the SM should bring this up to the district and or council if the MBC is not up to par.

The SM's responsibility requires more than suggesting a MBC to work with. It is the SM's responsibility to provide the name of the MBC that the scout is to call. Yes, the SM should inform the district advancement chair if/when they become aware of a MBC that doesn't follow the requirements, but why in the world would a SM (or any caring adult), want the scout to use a MBC that they know does not follow the requirements? That would be abdicating their role and responsibility.

"The importance of the Scoutmaster's job is reflected in the fact that the quality of his guidance will affect every youth and adult involved in the troop." Some SM's believe that "go find a counselor" is good guidance. Other SM's believe directing the scout to a MBC that will provide a good experience is good guidance.(This message has been edited by venividi)

Great points BP and VV. I have never implied that the approval to pursue a merit badge should be automatic. However, I do feel tha the type of discussion between a scoutmaster and a scout is EXACTLY what should be happening.

vogelb,

Yes, its much easier to know what should be done, than to actually be successful in juggling 5 scouts standing in line with blue cards, 3 PL's that need advice, review next week's meeting with the SPL, find out why the ASPL hasn't been working with the scouts holding POR's, meeting with scouts that are having difficulty getting traction in his POR, and listening to parents that want to tell you how you should be doing your job. All at 8:35 after the troop meeting.

"EXACTLY what should be happening" often borders on the impossible. (Good SM's eventually learn to recruit, train, and delegate to parents.)

Eventually it will become common knowledge that the expectations are that scouts will have Mr. Bill or Mrs. Bonnie for Citizenship badges when they are in at least 7th grade, Mr. T or Mrs. C for Personal Management, no Eagle required badges at summer camp, etc., because the troop culture is one that cares more about the quality of the program than about getting MB's completed. And parents that understand the benefits of such a program will convey that message to parents of new scouts and parents of scouts considering the troop.

(This message has been edited by venividi)

Glad you finally got the answer you were looking for in the first place.

You probably won't like this one.

I see it as part of my job to help Scouts get the most out of the program. Sometimes that means declining to authorize a MB until I feel the Scout is ready for it.

While I'll authorize any elective MB for anyone anytime, over the years I have come to draw a few lines in the sand around the required MBs. The only RMBs I sign off for at summer camp are Swimming, Camping, EnviroSci and Emergency Prep (and we're in the process of taking EP in house). Why? Beav listed most of the reasons. Quality of instruction is a big one. But mostly I don't think it's asking too much for our Scouts to put some real time and effort into the 12 RMBs. I want them to meet with a real expert in the field (not the 16 y.o. at summer camp who drew the short straw). I want them to go through the process of setting and keeping appointments. Our counselors typically provide experiences they don't get at camp. Our Personal Mgt. counselor teaches the Scouts personal finance stuff I don't know -- and no, he's not adding to the requirements, he's adding to the education.

We're also noodling with the idea that Scouts will only work on the required MBs they need for the next rank they're working on, Star excluded. In other words, we're not going to have 12-y.o. Tenderfoot Scout complete all the RMBs up front. The exception with Star is we encourage all our boys to complete First Aid and Swimming in their first year, in order to fully participate in all the troop outings.

Again, why? Because you get more out of the program at an older age. PersMgt is the classic example. A 12-y.o. with a $5.00 allowance and a parental requirement to save half isn't going to get as much from the MB as a 16-y.o. with a summer job and a goal of buying a car. While PersMgt is one I encourage the Scouts to save until they are older, I don't worry too much about which MBs they do for any given rank. Advancement is supposed to present the Scouts with progressively more and more difficult challenges. Even though the requrirements are the same in black and white, our expectations for an older Scout -- and more importantly HIS expectations for HIMSELF -- are higher as he gets older. Even for an "entry level" RMB like CitNat, the discussion about rights and responsibilities is very different for a fifth grader versus a high school senior who will get to vote in the next election, maybe has older friends in the military, and may have been confronted with some legal issues out and about with his friends.

Yeah, I can read the book where it says any scout can work on any MB at any time, bury my head, wash my hands and gloss over the role of the Scoutmaster. But I would not be fulfilling my responsibility to delever the best program possible to out Scouts.

So where did you read into anything I said that I was upset my son started the Citizen & World, or chose to table it for a while.. I just stated what happened and made no judgement..

Then all I did was show how our next troop handled in.. And that based on their policy, he would have never had taken it on as his 2nd MB he ever took, because he would have had to do citizen & community first, then Cit. & nation, then the world.. (Not due to A, B, C.. But due to the fact that a youth knowledge of the world around him grows as he matures.. First it is just family, then it is his community, then he grows to understand his country, lastly he starts to understand the world around him.

Again simply a statement of how another troop handled the same situation differently..

Now troop A may have done so because the had a MBC who had the patience to work with the young'uns.. Or because they just did not regulate.. Don't know.. But both troops handled it differently..

Due to it being the SM call.. Then I have no problem with how either of them handled it... Nor did I have a problem with my sons choice to start, then table the merit badge.

I completely disagree with offering an in Troop merit badge colleges or in Troop merit badge programs. If you are worried about the quality of the work, then get to know the MBC's you are sending your youth too.

In my opinion it completely removes a couple of elements of the program. The association with adults he does not know. Making and keeping appointments and delivering the work expected to an unknown impartial adult.

Back to the original discussion, there are merit badges like personal finance that most scout would benefit more when they are tolds.