Boy Scout rank advancement

I have a boy in my troop who has been stuck at 2nd Class for a year because he can't swim well enough to pass the BSA swimmers test and his parents don't have the resources to get him lessons. He can pass the beginner test, but that doesn't satisfy the rank requirement. The scout has no interest in attending Sea Base or doing any water related activites. His mom is considering pulling him out of the troop because it's "pointless" for him to continue without being able to advance. Dad, a former Boy Scout and Eagle Scout, is less convinced to do that. The rank requirement has changed since the days when dad was in Boy Scouts, there was no swimming requirement for 1st Class (the skill award was optional), and that requirement would have prevented him from obtaining Eagle.

Are there any thoughts on how to proceed with this situation? Do I advance the boy because it isn't his fault that they don't have the resources (i.e. money or access to a pool) to get lessons? Or do I let mom win and lose a promising young scout who could go far in his "career" to a life of video games, etc?

Hello -- I grew up in your area (in Xenia). At one time, there used to be functioning county pools -- is that still the case? If so, there might be summer lessons. I know that you've said the parents don't have the means, but I know (having gone through a couple of extended layoffs myself) is that by asking nicely, sometimes heavy fees are either reduced or eliminated. It would be worth talking to a local YMCA as well -- our local YMCA is very nice about financial assistance.

From a different angle, though, I've just gone through a very similar experience. My younger son has no interest in water at all. About 18 months ago, when he was 11, he told me that he didn't think he would make Second Class because he "can't swim" (as he put it). I know perfectly well he's able to swim, but it turns out his major issue is that he doesn't like jumping into water (especially pond water, at camp).

We found a local woman who teaches swim lessons in a backyard pool, and we arranged private lessons with her. She said that she wouldn't charge, but asked that we make a donation to a charity. She worked with my son, and his swimming skills are stronger than ever -- however, the jumping in part was never addressed. He still doesn't like it, but he did it for a swim test, and for First Class (his BoR was last night). He's already announced, though, he has no interest in the water, and wants nothing to do with another swim test.

Guy

The best suggestion I have is have him learn to swim at summer camp. I have had several scouts that failed the swimmers test but were still able to be in the beginners section of the pool and got better during the week. The acquatics staff will help with this. They won't get the merit badge, but they will pass the test and be able to advance to First Class.

If the family can't afford summer camp for this boy, your troop should look into a campership for him. My council will pay for summer camp, on a needs basis. In the past, I have also anonymously paid for a needy scout to attend in my Troop.

I wouldn't advance him.

Is there anyone who might donate swim lessons? A member of a YMCA who could take him in as a guest? Anyone who might donate some money to cover the cost?

Lessons can be surprisingly effective. Or, if a Scout really doesn't like the idea of lessons, just going to the pool regularly and doing a little bit of work on swimming each time can be a big help. It's hard to learn with only sporadic contact with a pool.

We have had kids learn at summer camp. One of our adults went down to the beginners class and worked with them one-on-one all week long.

Is there anyone (maybe an older boy?) in your troop that's BSA swimming certified? I know a couple of those guys (they work as lifeguards in my neighborhood pool) that would be very willing to teach the boy enough to get him to pass the test.

As far as access to a pool, I think you should ask around. There could be county pools or the YMCA. I think that with a little digging and effort, it is possible to get this boy ready.

Another possibility is to see if there are any scholarship funds available throught the YMCA or a local community pool. Our District has teamed up with a local NPO which promotes swimming (especially, but not exclusively for the handicapped), and there are scout scholarship funds available through the scout office. It is a great opportunity, if you can find similar resources in your area.

Good luck!

Does the scout want to learn to swim? You posted about what the mom wants and what the dad wants. I wouldn't do anything unless I was sure that the scout wants it. I know that you probably have done this, but I thought I would mention it. For example, is not being able to swim an excuse to avoid the pressure of advancement from his Eagle dad?

You could also help the scout find a way to earn the money for swim lessons, like cutting grass for a couple of weeks.

His mom is considering pulling him out of the troop because it's "pointless" for him to continue without being able to advance.

Yah, hmmm.... The "point" of scouting is to learn skills and develop character and citizenship, not to take home badges. Advancement is just a tool that works for some (but not all) kids to help them in learning skills/developing character.

Step 1: Educate Mom on what this scoutin' thing is all about.

Do I advance the boy because it isn't his fault that they don't have the resources (i.e. money or access to a pool) to get lessons? Or do I let mom win and lose a promising young scout who could go far in his "career" to a life of video games, etc?

Yah, hmmm... That's a completely false dichotomy. More realistic is "do I feel sorry for this kid and teach him and all the other boys that I will cheat on their advancement if they just whine about possibly quitting, or do I help this boy learn character and citizenship by inspiring and coaching him to find/earn the resources he needs to overcome an obstacle?

A lad who passes the 2nd class but not the 1st class swim test is pretty far along, eh? Nowhere near as big a challenge for him as it is for those boys who have a genuine fear of the water. All he has is a bit of an endurance/breathing problem which can be overcome with just some work.

Step 2: Sit with the boy and help him make his own plan for how to overcome the challenge.

Step 3: Encourage (and quietly assist) the boy to follow through on his plan.

Step 4: Celebrate with him when he succeeds, knowin' that now you really have a promising young scout who could go far in his "career", because he knows he is capable of overcoming a challenge.

Beavah

ssovnivek

There are many opportunities in Tecumseh Council other than summer camp for swim skills.

If the issue is pool access for personal skill instruction at no fee send me a private email and I will help setup opportunities with a SM/swimming MBC who works out of the Fairborn Y or myself (also a Y member swimming/lifesaving MBC, BSA Lifeguard, ARC Lifeguard - Greater Dayton Y). I can also get access to the base pools, as a AF retiree.

If the Scout can do the beginners test, then with minimal skill instruction I am confident the BSA swimmers test can be achieved.

I have shown several non/beginner swimmers (both in and outside of my own Troop/Pack) that by leveraging passive strokes will minimize energy expended.

Now if the Scout has a water phobia... that's a different game.

DG (ASM Troop 311 Springfield).

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

While there is always a "point" to being in Scouting, I can certainly understand the frustration of a 12(or whatever)-year-old who can't do the things he sees his friends doing, whether it be swimming or advancing. If he's "stuck" at Second Class while all his friends are making Star, that might make the whole thing seem a little less "fun." Some boys won't have a problem with that, some will.

I agree that there are ways to get this boy swimming instruction. My son had the same problem, and did take longer than to make Second and First Class than he would have otherwise. He did not pass his swimming test for camp (which I believe is equivalent to the First Class requirement) until his third year at camp -- and then he passed it just barely. I recall at least one other boy who dropped out of Scouting because he could not pass the swim test, which was unfortunate. My son did not drop out, he passed the Second and First Class swim tests and eventually -- probably in his fifth year of summer camp -- passed Swimming MB, and went on to earn Eagle. How did he go from a non-swimmer to earning Swimming MB? He had some improvised lessons given by family members, he took instructional swim at camp his first two years, but I think even more important than that, he grew older, larger, stronger and more confident, and when he was ready, decided to do it, and did it. I have to tell you, I was pretty impressed by the way my son overcame this issue. But I can also understand that some kids would get too frustrated and quit before reaching the goal. Hopefully with some help that members of the troop could provide in helping him learn to swim, that won't happen in this case. Maybe knowing that he is not the first Scout who has had this issue might help a little.

the YMCA's in this area will work with families that cannot afford swim lessons

our summer camp has a learn to swim option that boys can participate in

also check with swimming MB councilors to see if they are willing to work with a boy trying to learn to swim. I've taught 2 boys to swim and even 1 adult who was going to Sea Base and needed help to pass swim test. When I was a member at the Y I just had the person come as a free guest or as one of my kids (always left 1 at home so it was correct number LOL) or if going to public pool when I didn't have a pass we just came up with an agreement on what they could afford as to if they paid for me to get in too or just them. The adult I taught I actually met through girl scouts and she saw me working with my troop and teaching 1 scout. She had the financial means, just didn't want to take a class with all kids so she paid for me to get in and also made a donation to my GS troop for our trip a few years ago.

if the boy is able to pass the 2nd class then he can swim - he just needs to work on endurance and pacing himself. Key to passing swim test is knowing it's not a timed event - so take your time so you don't wear yourself out. Find the stroke that allows the scout to keep head out of water the most and exerts the least amount of energy (most boys I have that struggled once they switched to breast rather than crawl were able to pass)

Also check with the Swimming/Life Guard MBC's that are on your district list.. They may not have time to devote to one scout at summer camp, but have plenty of time when it is doing the MB one on one.. But I am related to 3 who are MBC's. Any one of them would spend time to work with the boy, many times they go together 2 to 3 and the kid (or group of kids from a unit) have more help then they know what to do with.

Don't know about your area, but $5-$10 gets you into a hotel pool, but for boy scouts many wave or reduce the fee. And we have a Sports center who will also wave the fee for Boy Scouts..

The MBC's for swimming in your area, may have already found the local pools that are cheap or wave the fee.

Thanks, all for the responses. Our troop is at summer camp right now, and I know most of the adults who are there with them have expressed a willingness in helping this scout with his swimming issue. His issue isn't that he has a fear of water as he jumped right into the pool at the local Y when we did our swimming pre-cert tests. I know this youth has participated in lessons before, but the instruction method left something to be desired (something about not teaching the kids the basic swimming strok/how to kick and requiring them to wear floaties all the time). I think if given enough instruction at summer camp, he might be able to squeak through well enough to advance.

Thanks again.

I was one of those Scouts who was terrified of swimming. I did drown, and had CPR done to me when I was younger. While I liked being in the water, if it got to deep I paniced ans was terrified of swimming.

Now this may not be the way some folks would handle it, but this is what my mom did. She gave me a choice, learn to swim and stay in Scouting, or do not learn and get out. From both my cousin's and my brothers' brief experiences in Scouting, she knew I would be left behind on a lot of things.

I am glad she did that, as it forces me to overcome that fear.

Summer camps should have Instructional Swim Sessions. YMCAs will work with folks. Also as a Swimming MBC, I'll work with anyone for the MB, or even to learn how to swim. I am only limited by time, and trying to find a place. I know one SM who took me up on the offer used his parents' pool. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Good Luck.