Can a unit CHOOSE to ignore / not award a given advancement ?

We should be trying to find ways to get and keep boys interested in the program. Yeah, the video game badge doesn't "put the 'outing' in Scouting" but it's part of the official program, and I think your Pack leadership needs to reconcile itself to that fact.

It's not a line in the sand issue? Kind of sounds that way to me.

So, it's not just the video games belt loops you want to ban, it's reading, and manners, as well. Where does it end?

Art is not outdoorsy, and is done in school, as is mathematics, music, and science. Communicating is right up there with reading. Pet care is something that should be taught at home. Most of the sports belt loops are taught at school, or in the park district. Then there is badminton. Is it even a "real" sport? Surely it is nothing that Cub Scouts should be wasting time learning.

Your Pack needs to get over themselves. The whole point of the belt loop/pin program is to get the boys to have fun with something they are ALREADY interested in, and maybe discover something new along the way.

It is not rocket science. But then isn't rocket science taught in school too?

Sheesh!

Scoutnut has it absolutely right!

beltlops are not scouting activities persay, but an attempt to get boys to try all kinds of different things - by recognition of beltloops - that they may not normally have tried.

Think about it too: The boys basically try to see how many beltloops they can get. It's almost a competition in it's own right.

But in the proces of getting the most "Beltloop Bling", they also participated in, and possibly might become interested in an activity that they would normally not have had an interaction with under normal circumstances.

As for Vidoe Game BL. it does not encourage, promote or even suggest that kids play video games!

But it does teach kids THAT ALREADY PLAY VIDEO GAMES ( emphasis) to set time limits, learn to accept reasonable age and rating standards, and realize that other activities have importance too.

Matter of fact, I used to tell my son to no end it was time to stop playing games so much. He's blow meoff, or get upset,or thougfht I was just being mean.

Since he earned his Video Game belt loop , he actually plays video games only a 1./4th as much as he used to. And then...mostly if the weather doesn't allow other things like BB gun, football, bike riding.

Funny: The BL pretty much says the same thing I always said, but got imnstand credibility whereas I was "full of it".

I think adults should be able to earn the "Irony" belt loop! :)

No, it really isn't a line in the sand issue. Just a question about if ti could be done or not. I guess I see a BIG difference between stating up front, "Our pack doesn't usually do this BL, because (insert reason here)." and a leader who would after being presented a BL request from cub and Akela say, "no I won't award it."

With regards to the video game BL - I'm all for the former and would NEVER do the later.

As for the poster who asked about the CO, well we are the "concerned parents of pack xxx", and as stated in our bylaws, the CC is in fact the COR, and thus the CO for the pack, with all registered adult leaders having an equal vote on the CO committee.

Bottom line - I think the video game BL is pure hooey. The ONLY thing that gives it value is the fact that in includes some time management, money management and age appropriate facets.

I doubt the issue will go any further than this discussion board. I was just interested to get some feedback and find out IF there is a way to tailor the program to a unit's own liking. I know some troops are heavy on advancement. Others, heavy on high adventure. LDS units surely tweek the program to fit their needs / religious preferences and beliefs.

I don't think video games are a huge moral issue, so it is most likely one of those things that some may like others don't like about the organization. Not looking to throw the baby out with the bathwater on this... the overall expirience is much more positive than this one issue. Still for the life of me, can't imagine the internal discussion at national when the new BL requirements were being designed.

After some thought - maybe THAT is my true frustration with the BL. The fact that the same folks that run our program at the national level came up with (and endorse) such a lame excuse (my own opinion) for a scout activity. Part of it makes me fearful for what will come out in the next round of revisions. Maybe I will fire a letter off to national. It'll likely get filed in the round filing cabinet, but its worth a shot.

Like it or not it is the way most of our boys spend some if not all of their recreation time.

There is more to the BL than just play.

I agree that it is walking a fine line and not that different than banning books

Beside a parent can do any or all of the belt loops on their own.

Relax, most of the boys won't earn it any how. Ever since the initial rush, no one has earned it in our Pack

I'm not a fan of the Video Games loop. The reason is that it seems like once you have something like that, anything could be a belt loop. Hand washing loop, TV watching loop, Internet loop?

However, the BSA (in its infinite wisdom) has decided it is a loop. And I really don't think it right for a pack to deny a boy a loop. These are young boys. To deny them that because we think is silly will sour him, upset him, and more likely than not, annoy the parent. It's not worth it.

What we CAN do is offer and promote lots of the ones we "like" via belt loop bonanzas, by offering them during pack meetings and den meetings, or through activities at camping, etc. That way the boys get excited and are exposed to some of the "finer" aspects of scouting.

Denying a belt loop because you don't agree with it is just wrong.

BadenP, "Yea Gary I think you lost that argument already in another thread. LDS does not only tweak the program they give advancement even when it is not legitmately earned by the BSA requirements."

Well BadenP, it seems that we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. Do to the fact that your prejudice towards LDS units make it so that you are not able to read for the purpose of understanding, or just don't care to.(This message has been edited by Gary_Miller)

Gary

Yea, we can disagree,however what you put forth in this discussion as the LDS scouting program is full of half truths or outright falsehoods. I am not prejudice against LDS scouting at all, your own LDS brothers have told me the actual facts as did your own LDS church leaders at Philmont where we spent a week discussing the LDS scouting program in depth, something I would not have done if I were "prejudice against LDS scouting", as you have suggested. As I have said before you can state all you want that LDS scouting and traditional scouting is the exact same program but we both know that is just not true.

By the way it may interest you to know that the LDS Venturing crews in our district have asked all the non LDS crews to help them plan an outdoor high adventure program for next year and to participate with us coed crews in more group activities because their program has been weak(according to the LDS advisors) and membership has gone way down as of late, go figure. That doesn't sound to me like we are prejudice against LDS scouts.