molten sludge

Even though I think the whole safety issue can be dealt with with a little bit of common sense, that's actually the main reason why I was surprised that this is a Tenderfoot requirement.

I don't know how it's taught, but a few of you have mentioned lighters. Personally, I would much prefer using a match or a candle, because with a lighter, there's always the possibility that the molten sludge will drip onto you if you're not careful. With a match, it will drip onto the ground. If you whip the rope, you don't have to worry about that. (Like I mentioned above, even though we considered it sub-par, we still did it with a match, because sometimes, good enough is good enough. It was kind of like starting a fire: If nobody was looking, we might use a little bit of newspaper to get it going. But it was still drummed into us never to use flammable liquids, even if nobody was looking. "Fusing" the rope came under the same general category as using newspaper to start the fire.)

But in general, if they're taught this skill, then the teaching should include the relevant safety rules. I don't think it needs to wait until they get the full-fledged fire safety training that goes along with starting a camp fire.

1 is taken care of with proper ventilation. 2 and 4 are taken care of if you also whip the end and just lightly melt the line. Often people keep the heat on for too long, that is what gives the ugliness and sharp end. I also just kinda flatten the end out while the line is still in a little bit of a liquid state. That really cuts down on any sharpness. I have no rebuttal to 3, it is very true.

Oh, one other thing. If the end of the line is in the position to be slashing away at anything then there are other problems that need to be taken care of first. As they say, everytime that sail luffs back and forth is is a dollar. Not each time it starts luffing, each individual swing back and forth while luffing.