Getting a eagle project shot down

"Add value" can mean so many things. I'm ok with that definition in the economic sense - a project does need to benefit some entity, and one way to restate that could be that a project needs to provide something of value to the entity. I don't think the something needs to be physical.

The only limitation that appears to be relevant is that it can't be "routine labor". If the youth club normally pays someone once a year to paint the fence, but the Scout wants to do it this year as an Eagle project, that wouldn't count. This sounds far from routine, though.

I want to spin off another thread on the debate between twocub and crew21.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the lack of a BSA ruling on how many hours

Not true. I think in the latest version of the Eagle Project Workbook it states there are no minimum hours required.

I know Twocubdad but it chaps my shorts when people come up with their own personal reasons for things like this. They seem to think it's all about them.

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings again!

Just to follow up on Oak Tree's recent comment and spin off into another thread.

I'd prefer to call it a discussion, rather than a debate. I am not stating a victory or defeat. I am not claiming that I am absolutely correct (as if I was on a pedestal and claim to have wrote the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook and Advancement Committee Manual all by myself), nor that I am at fault with my logic.

TwoCub and I just possess different opinions over the length of time during the ESLP. Id say it would be a discussion (and difference of opinion) on whether an apple cobbler is much better than the cherry cobbler. Im sure there are many things wed agree upon and would spend hours around the campfire shooting the bull with adventurous stories.

Again, I love the grand monumental, 1000 hour projects. I wish I saw more of them!

But I can be very lenient in my analysis of the workbook instructions and can be convinced to translate No minimum number of hours is required. and the Hours I Spent Working on the Project portion of the workbook, to be as minimum as two hours or more. I can set my threshold pretty low, and hope that most Eagle candidates will soar high above my minimum threshold; never knowing or asking what my minimum tolerance is.

So As we engage in another spun thread, lets be cautious not to debate, but keep an enlightening friendly conversations Even if opinions vary.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv