Scout Spirit requirement

A Scoutmaster "signs-off" on the Scout Spirit requirement by what he puts on the Eagle application.

UNIT APPROVAL (personal signatures required)

Signature of unit leader____________________________________

Scoutmaster, Coach or Advisor

My interpretation is that if a Scoutmaster does not feel the Eagle applicant "worthy" for whatever reason, they should not give "approval" by signing the application.

I would agree with acco on this. Also, the Scout Spirit requirement should not be signed-off either.

Our panel of board members are having lots of debate over scout spirit right now. It's becoming a huge issue. When an Eagle candidate walks into a board and insists there are only 11 points to the law, or doesn't even remember the oath as he states it in the board, some members wonder how the boy even got to Life when the requirements state they have to have it memorized...

We're at a sort of impasse right now, and a few boys have been asked to return to board again for not having "scout spirit."

Well, to be fair, there is no actual requirement to memorize the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

But if a troop recites them in their opening (and perhaps closing) of their weekly meetings, then memorization is a byproduct.

I would hope you are not using memorization as the standard for "scout spirit", but rather how they actually live their life.

Well, to be fair, there is no actual requirement to memorize the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

Tenderfoot Requirement #7: Repeat from memory and explain in your own words the Scout Oath, Law, motto, and slogan.

Are you implying that it is not a requirement for Eagle, for it certainly is for Tenderfoot.

Yes, my mistake. I was referring to Eagle specifically. I apologize for the lack of clarity.

But my point is that even though you need it memorized for Tenderfoot, unless it's being repeated on a regular basis, it's very likely it won't be retained in memory beyond meeting that requirement.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Yah, and surely you're not "retesting" a Tenderfoot requirement at an Eagle BOR. :p

Or expecting an Eagle scout to know about da buddy system or any of that other T-2-1 stuff like their responsibilities as a citizen.

No retesting.

Beavah